Like Tree130Likes

Carrie Lam would 'quit' if she could

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    @ByeByeEngland I would like you to clarify. Why do you think it's reasonable to keep that bill around? If the government has said that it's dead, if people have made it clear that passing it won't be tolerated, then what possible useful purpose exists to have it sitting in a pre-approval state?

Surely removing it entirely would cost the government nothing, and it would appease many (or would have in weeks past... not striking it down early has seen things escalate past this one bill).
    I don’t disagree in any way that it would be a logical step but tell me it you seriously believe the protests would stop? That’s part of the reason we have this impasse. Both sides are unreasonable, neither side willing to compromise.

In the current environment my suspicion is that conceding this one point would be seen as a sign of weakness and give a signal for protests to continue

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland
    I don’t disagree in any way that it would be a logical step but tell me it you seriously believe the protests would stop? That’s part of the reason we have this impasse. Both sides are unreasonable, neither side willing to compromise.

In the current environment my suspicion is that conceding this one point would be seen as a sign of weakness and give a signal for protests to continue
    I believe that it would be a good first step in establishing any meaningful dialogue. It's giving up something that's worth exactly zero in practical terms. Keeping the bill there seems almost a deliberate provocation. Odd that you'd see removing it as a 'sign of weakness' rather than a signal of willingness to negotiate.

Surely the government refusing to do anything except hide on the one hand, and use force on the other, is the real signal for protests to continue.

I could be wrong, but I thought that last time there were major protests, the protesters were willing to compromise. And ended up getting arrested instead, that's why they are so much warier this time around.
    hullexile, TheBrit, Gatts and 6 others like this.

BS. Beijing and herself can’t quit to save face. It’s about pride. To the world. They would rather see the city burn than call it quits. Beijing is the puppetmaster and Lam is the puppet! If only Beijing would just believe in the old saying, “If it works don’t fix it!” But they have to stick their fingers into it. Mess it up. Ruin it. HK will turn into another mainland city.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    David Webb on Carrie Lam and Hong Kong's future

https://webb-site.com/articles/outcome.asp
    Webb raised a good point, there is nothing on paper preventing Lam from resigning. But her doing so would presuppose she is willing to put the interest of the city before her own interest. It requires a degree of selfless sacrifice. And we know she simply does not have that quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Webb raised a good point, there is nothing on paper preventing Lam from resigning. But her doing so would presuppose she is willing to put the interest of the city before her own interest. It requires a degree of selfless sacrifice. And we know she simply does not have that quality.
    In fact the Basic Law obligates her to resign as she has basically admitted that she is unable to discharge the duties of her office:

Article 52
    The Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region must resign under any of the following circumstances:

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    I believe that it would be a good first step in establishing any meaningful dialogue. It's giving up something that's worth exactly zero in practical terms. Keeping the bill there seems almost a deliberate provocation. Odd that you'd see removing it as a 'sign of weakness' rather than a signal of willingness to negotiate.

Surely the government refusing to do anything except hide on the one hand, and use force on the other, is the real signal for protests to continue.

I could be wrong, but I thought that last time there were major protests, the protesters were willing to compromise. And ended up getting arrested instead, that's why they are so much warier this time around.
    Seeing your words in action within few hours, I am convinced you are Pro-Beijing insider or Liaison office spy lurking on Geo..
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Why can't she resign? She means she can't resign with consequences. This woman made a deal with the devil and she's surprised that she's in hell now.
    My Guess. She has been told who would win the election after she has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    Yikes.

At this point in time, although I’m actually pessimistic, but Hong Kong is not dead yet. Maybe she is very, very sick but she is not dead yet. We still have fundamentals here, we still have the nation behind us. So Hong Kong will have to go through several stages. The first is stamping out the violence, maybe doing other things in time to come which at the moment are not very available. Having gone through this stage, the next stage will be, in accordance with the bible, would be resurrection. We will need to come back to life, some life. So thereafter we want a reborn Hong Kong and a relaunching of this Hong Kong brand…
    Do we... do we need to separate the Church and the State? She’s literally framing this as some kind of programatic biblical death and rebirth destiny, she’s framing herself ( and police?) as dutiful martyr and Christ, and bringing HK down with her in the process. This is the CE’s mental model, her “plan.”

If you look at some of these TV footage and videos of how policemen have been attacked and so on.

...confidence in the police after Occupy Central has rebounced to a historic high. That was the sort of background to how much the police have suffered.
    Holy shit, she really honestly from the bottom of her heart sees police as victims, not perpetrators, of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by thisdress
    Yikes.

Do we... do we need to separate the Church and the State? She’s literally framing this as some kind of programatic biblical death and rebirth destiny, she’s framing herself ( and police?) as dutiful martyr and Christ, and bringing HK down with her in the process. This is the CE’s mental model, her “plan.”

Holy shit, she really honestly from the bottom of her heart sees police as victims, not perpetrators, of violence.
    Evil to the core.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8