Like Tree753Likes

Sept '19 - Week 2 - Protest News & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sv336:
    How about the Australian woman they killed? She wasn't black or armed. I love my US police, but I trust the Glock in my pocket more than in theirs. On the 2nd point - thank you, I learned something new today. "Demonstrations against the bill began in March and April and turned into a consecutive mass movements in June". Guess, I didn't pay enough attention to HK politics till people started blocking the city on my days off
    Fair point. Simply introducing context and referring to probabilities. Yes, unfortunately the protests have got your attention, but like many who haven't been paying close attention, blame seems attributed as a toss-up to protesters or police. Have to remember the government role in all of this. Do take care.
    sv336 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Fair point. Simply introducing context and referring to probabilities. Yes, unfortunately the protests have got your attention, but like many who haven't been paying close attention, blame seems attributed as a toss-up to protesters or police. Have to remember the government role in all of this. Do take care.
    Hope, somebody will write a book about these events. I keep circling back to my initial impression of HK as a weird place that should not exist, particularly with its youth being so impotent and incapable. And - here we go. Hollywood likes creating apocalyptic images of itself - falling out into the ocean. HK is definitely a special breed, and I'm very thankful for being here at this time.
    juanalias likes this.

The silent “majority” stabs back
    https://twitter.com/wingp/status/117...208962048?s=21

Sry delete

You can tell all the differences between when they talk to international and condemning on local press con
    https://www.facebook.com/111764170177134/posts/127076811979203?sfns=mo

David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    Politics aside, where are the parents of the protestors in all of this. Surely they don't want their children out on the streets throwing bricks or if innocent, being subject to collateral effects of police action? Stay home and you wont have a broken skull, or face the courts for your actions for criminal damage of public property.
    Because it’s common for a family of 5 to share a 500 sqft apartment, I think kids over age 16 tend to spend a lot of time outside of home. Parents probably don’t know where they are. And I imagine a lot of frontline protesters are in early 20s and may have jobs paying 15-30k.

I heard some protesters fell out with parents and moved in with other protesters.

Then I guess in some cases parents support the movement, especially bearing in mind until a month or so ago most marches were legal and at least started off peacefully.
    Coolboy and imparanoic like this.

David Smith
    https://twitter.com/weiducna/status/...370708480?s=21

I find it very hard to understand what possible legal reason the court had to grant a warrant. Even Lawrence Ma (rabid pro BJ lawyer) he couldn’t see the basis under criminal law (but that was before the warrant was granted).

I find it equally hard to understand why her family wanted to keep them secret. My thoughts are:

1. Police don’t know who she is and she wants to avoid arrest for illegal assembly (most likely, but she has been doxed on mainland forums)

2. Privacy especially while she recovering (again likely, but see above)

3. Injury not as bad as feared and she wants to keep the pressure on police (possible, in particular we know she not completely blinded so far)

4. It provides evidence that a protester shot her (can bet this police motive and global times will argue this, however I doubt xrays etc will contain any evidence about how injury caused only on nature and extent of injury).

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith:
    https://twitter.com/weiducna/status/...370708480?s=21

I find it very hard to understand what possible legal reason the court had to grant a warrant. Even Lawrence Ma (rabid pro BJ lawyer) he couldn’t see the basis under criminal law (but that was before the warrant was granted).

I find it equally hard to understand why her family wanted to keep them secret. My thoughts are:

1. Police don’t know who she is and she wants to avoid arrest for illegal assembly (most likely, but she has been doxed on mainland forums)

2. Privacy especially while she recovering (again likely, but see above)

3. Injury not as bad as feared and she wants to keep the pressure on police (possible, in particular we know she not completely blinded so far)

4. It provides evidence that a protester shot her (can bet this police motive and global times will argue this, however I doubt xrays etc will contain any evidence about how injury caused only on nature and extent of injury).

You can never trust police press-conference, no matter you are a victim or a regular citizen.
    So my understanding would be:
    Having the court to prohibit police from obtaining such information, the girl and her family could hold a press con before the police doing it, so that they can provide a more complete knowledge to the public.

In case anyone still had doubts Cable went through the livestream footage
    https://twitter.com/xinwenxiaojie/st...116340224?s=21

MABinPengChau likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 ... LastLast