Like Tree753Likes

Sept '19 - Week 2 - Protest News & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 47 ... LastLast

Sry delete

You can tell all the differences between when they talk to international and condemning on local press con
    https://www.facebook.com/111764170177134/posts/127076811979203?sfns=mo

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda
    Politics aside, where are the parents of the protestors in all of this. Surely they don't want their children out on the streets throwing bricks or if innocent, being subject to collateral effects of police action? Stay home and you wont have a broken skull, or face the courts for your actions for criminal damage of public property.
    Because it’s common for a family of 5 to share a 500 sqft apartment, I think kids over age 16 tend to spend a lot of time outside of home. Parents probably don’t know where they are. And I imagine a lot of frontline protesters are in early 20s and may have jobs paying 15-30k.

I heard some protesters fell out with parents and moved in with other protesters.

Then I guess in some cases parents support the movement, especially bearing in mind until a month or so ago most marches were legal and at least started off peacefully.
    Coolboy and imparanoic like this.

https://twitter.com/weiducna/status/...370708480?s=21

I find it very hard to understand what possible legal reason the court had to grant a warrant. Even Lawrence Ma (rabid pro BJ lawyer) he couldn’t see the basis under criminal law (but that was before the warrant was granted).

I find it equally hard to understand why her family wanted to keep them secret. My thoughts are:

1. Police don’t know who she is and she wants to avoid arrest for illegal assembly (most likely, but she has been doxed on mainland forums)

2. Privacy especially while she recovering (again likely, but see above)

3. Injury not as bad as feared and she wants to keep the pressure on police (possible, in particular we know she not completely blinded so far)

4. It provides evidence that a protester shot her (can bet this police motive and global times will argue this, however I doubt xrays etc will contain any evidence about how injury caused only on nature and extent of injury).

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith
    https://twitter.com/weiducna/status/...370708480?s=21

I find it very hard to understand what possible legal reason the court had to grant a warrant. Even Lawrence Ma (rabid pro BJ lawyer) he couldn’t see the basis under criminal law (but that was before the warrant was granted).

I find it equally hard to understand why her family wanted to keep them secret. My thoughts are:

1. Police don’t know who she is and she wants to avoid arrest for illegal assembly (most likely, but she has been doxed on mainland forums)

2. Privacy especially while she recovering (again likely, but see above)

3. Injury not as bad as feared and she wants to keep the pressure on police (possible, in particular we know she not completely blinded so far)

4. It provides evidence that a protester shot her (can bet this police motive and global times will argue this, however I doubt xrays etc will contain any evidence about how injury caused only on nature and extent of injury).

You can never trust police press-conference, no matter you are a victim or a regular citizen.
    So my understanding would be:
    Having the court to prohibit police from obtaining such information, the girl and her family could hold a press con before the police doing it, so that they can provide a more complete knowledge to the public.

In case anyone still had doubts Cable went through the livestream footage
    https://twitter.com/xinwenxiaojie/st...116340224?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    @ByeByeEngland I guess he was asking for trouble right?
    Gatts likes this.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    https://twitter.com/the852spirit/sta...203127296?s=21
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0
    I feel you misunderstand the position. Few if any of the people here support radical action. What they take issue with is the perceived lack of context and balance when considering these actions. I for one may not necessarily support or understand the purpose of destructive actions like those you refer, but I can still understand why it happens. It is the level of outrage that needs consideration. For me, the vandalism may be annoying, but hardly life-threatening. I would equate it with unjustified stop and searches on the level of annoyance (which I note law and order types would consider within police powers). However, you describe it as mindless violence, which it is not. It is a symbolic demonstration of displeasure. We can agree to disagree whether it is justified from a radical’s point of view, but seriously, the only symbolism of groups of people being put up against a wall to me is a police state. Meanwhile it is only near the lowest part of the scale for the police are doing, so maybe that’s why you are buying so much dissatisfaction from many forum members.

Peaceful marches were mostly months ago. They kind of disappear whenever the police appear.

What do you make of images like the below?
    Well said. I don't think anyone here actually encourage or supports radical action and certainly not acts of criminal damage (which they will have to face legal consequences for). Heck, I quite strongly disagree with some of the radical action, like waving the Union Jack or the US flag, because I personally think that provides fuel for the mainland criticism of foreign interference, not to mention contradicting their demand for self-determination if they ask openly for foreign intervention.

But at the end of the day, let's not forget the bottom line of who ultimately caused all this, Carrie Lam. She is responsible for the mess, not the protesters.
    Gatts likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 47 ... LastLast