Like Tree35Likes

Anson Chan on BBC Hardtalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Chan would be a great CE.

thisdress likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by a voice
    I think the questions could be answered better by someone who is actively involved in the movement, in all the action, day to day protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    A) Anson Chan is nowhere near "actively involved" in the movement, please educate yourself on these topics.
    You may have misread something.

While I agree with a voice's point, having the views of someone of Anson Chan's standing and possibly unparalleled knowledge of how we got here was very important.

B) She handled these questions extraordinary well, calmly and eloquently. Just imagine if HK could have been blessed with CE like this.
    Agreed. With the CCP redesigning the playing field behind the scenes, her greatest strengths became weaknesses: Conscience, trust in (genuine and neutral) rule of law and ability to seek compromise. Based on the number of resignations there aren't too many persons with even just one of those qualities anywhere near the current administration.

She might be able to sympathize with the insightful slogan first spray-painted on a pillar in the middle of the neutered "legislative council" on July 1st:

“It was you who taught me that peaceful marches are useless.”
    a voice and thisdress like this.

Quote Originally Posted by a voice
    I think the questions could be answered better by someone who is actively involved in the movement, in all the action, day to day protests.
    I think the questions could have been asked better by someone who knew a bit about the protests. The whole interview came across as trying to paint Anson Chan in a separatist light and play right into Beijing's propaganda. Asking why "She" isn't taking the protesters off the street when the government has already retracted the extradition bill and even including "21st Century is China Century, China stronk" phrasing

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    I think the questions could have been asked better by someone who knew a bit about the protests. The whole interview came across as trying to paint Anson Chan in a separatist light and play right into Beijing's propaganda. Asking why "She" isn't taking the protesters off the street when the government has already retracted the extradition bill and even including "21st Century is China Century, China stronk" phrasing

In case if anybody is wondering what Beijing propaganda Mr. Goodkat is talking about.

https://www.ft.com/content/d7e73864-...9-296ca66511c9

Here is a gang of four propaganda video they put out last month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEmxw8QZ7Ps

Paint your opponents black - no attempt at dialogue.

thisdress and Mefisto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    Here is a gang of four propaganda video they put out last month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEmxw8QZ7Ps

Paint your opponents black - no attempt at dialogue.
    It is interesting that many pro-democracy clips showing police violence on Youtube are age-gated and require logging in while CCP propaganda apparently isn't...

Yuen Chan's article "Information warfare" is worth reading for anyone interested in CCP's growing propaganda operations in the West (and rest of the world).

https://twitter.com/xinwenxiaojie/st...44731271995393
    Last edited by Mefisto; 18-09-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    Elefant&Castle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    I felt that the interview was an opportunity to explain to audiences who does not know why one demand became five demands.

Three of the demands can be seen as the immediate solution for the damages done to the society caused by the extradition bill turmoil.

The remaining demand, Universal Suffrage, is the long term solution for stopping this turmoil happening again. Besides, this demand was already raised five years ago in the 2014 Umbrella Movement, so it is not a demand that newly created as a result of this year's protest.

Quote Originally Posted by thisdress
    Does it matter? I was referencing r/RoastMe on reddit where users put themselves out there to get verbally humiliated (?) and they engage the crowd in the comments section. It’s antagonistic by design but it’s just the format or the nature of the game.
    yes, it does matter, if you saying "I'd experienced a 'roasting session' last night in the office with my manager and boss" with people from UK, they look at you in a funny way or laugh at you as the slang meaning is very different from the international meaning.

it's like an uk person going to the States and saying, " i am dying for a fag" which in UK means I really want to smoke a cigarette, but in the states, it literally means that you wish to have sexual intercourse with a gay person.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    yes, it does matter, if you saying "I'd experienced a 'roasting session' last night in the office with my manager and boss" with people from UK, they look at you in a funny way or laugh at you as the slang meaning is very different from the international meaning.

it's like an uk person going to the States and saying, " i am dying for a fag" which in UK means I really want to smoke a cigarette, but in the states, it literally means that you wish to have sexual intercourse with a gay person.
    And people use fag puns all the time. That kind of humorous but uncomfortable connotation is typically how online viral culture works, which, incidentally, is also how many of the slogans go viral in the current movement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2