Like Tree23Likes

Smart ID future capabilities

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smart ID future capabilities

Hi all, not sure if this has been discussed before but couldn’t find in search.

Friend recently told me that the new smart ID cards are basically to be used by HK government to geolocate citizens at all times, and potentially be used for something similar to the antisocial fine system currently in use in China.

Specifically the accusation is that sensors are going up around HK that can tell if you cross the road on a red light.

All sounds way too Orwellian but does anybody have any ideas of this is true?

Yeah, it's not true.

shri, MrRotavator, MandM! and 2 others like this.

you already gave up your information on your smart phone.

jlw90, TheBrit, spode and 2 others like this.

The range of the RFID chip is in the order of 10cm, making this a rather silly fear.

jlw90, MandM! and MatthieuTofu like this.

There are already red light cameras in HK. Geolocating of an ID card. Seems impractical and unreliable. Facial recognition maybe.

And you get hyper-paranoid, just wrap the ID with some tin foil.

spode, chingleutsch and MandM! like this.

Your Octopus card (combined with any credit cards) is already providing a rough estimate of where you are at all times. In fact, the police have already asked KMB to provide all of their Octopus records collected during protest days. The KMB octopus readers also read (but I am not sure if they store) the ten most recent transactions from your card to calculate any interchange discounts.

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw90
    Your Octopus card (combined with any credit cards) is already providing a rough estimate of where you are at all times. In fact, the police have already asked KMB to provide all of their Octopus records collected during protest days. The KMB octopus readers also read (but I am not sure if they store) the ten most recent transactions from your card to calculate any interchange discounts.
    I'm a lazy cheapskate, but have never linked my Octopus card to credit card top ups and a 0.5% rebate for privacy reasons. Is there some way of personally identifying me short of physical seizure of whatever Octopus cards that I have in possession?

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0
    I'm a lazy cheapskate, but have never linked my Octopus card to credit card top ups and a 0.5% rebate for privacy reasons. Is there some way of personally identifying me short of physical seizure of whatever Octopus cards that I have in possession?
    CCTV at points of use.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    CCTV at points of use.
    To clarify, not typically being a participant in any illegal activity, is there some way of being picked up by mass surveillance/data abuse as opposed to a targeted investigation, via Octopus use with no linkage to credit cards or other personal information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast