Like Tree175Likes

Unloved and unwanted: Maxim''s and the rest

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Arome x1 and Maxim’s Bakery x1 closed (both in MTR station)

I miss the durian pastry in HK

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Ha ha - quality post! I can’t deny the observation but as I played top trump in bakeries no bakers at all is not a card in the deck.

I’m going to check the ownership next time. They have western style sausage rolls and Filipino pandesal. I genuinely think they are local.

If this ridiculous boycotting of anything to do with China goes on I’d like to ask people to look around at a few of their possessions and clothes and work out what links many of them have to China.

The whole thing is PATHETIC. NBA fiasco for a tweet v Maxim boycott because of one comment. That just about sums up the two sides of this protest. Propaganda, pettiness and a general unwillingness to seek any middle ground.

The ‘leaderless’ protestors idea is just not working in my opinion. Rumour and hearsay leading to local outrages. Someone of some group needs to man up and represent the views including those of us moderates. If they’re really worried about their freedom do it from overseas. It’s not like many of them have a day job?
    Slight misrepresentation again, at least where Maxim is concerned. What the founder’s daughter said at the UN basically amounted to the protesters not speaking for 7.5m Hongkongers, (Technically no one can) and implying she did. The boycott is a very logical response to the insult in a statement like that.

Extending it to anyone saying “exterminate the cockroaches!” seems fair enough. Boycotting anything related to China is not, but that is somewhat of a straw man on your part, although perhaps at the fringes of the movement I’m sure there are people who might think that way.

RE: Jardine and opium, from a comment on the Wang Xiangwei comment in the SCMP today: "Also, perhaps you could demonstrate sincerity by gathering up a few fentanyl producers and shooting them in a public square. Americans would love you for that. You know how you didn't like the Opium wars? Well fentanyl is like that to us... " Not a fan of the 'shoot them in a public square' Duterte-esque, but the analogy of (tacitly) allowing fentanyl leading to addiction and the opium distribution of earlier times is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Doctors, Nurses, Civil Servants, Engineers, Lawyers, ... all are participating and organizing protests. They don't have a day job?? Where do you get your news?
    You’re missing the point. There being no obvious leadership for the protestors is, in my opinion, counterproductive. Just as Carrie Lam still being ‘in control’ is.

Movement in one of those two might nudge us away from the current impasse.

Original Post Deleted
    Probably boycotted by all the pro-China, anti-American people.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Every single of their cakes seem to taste the same minus the mountain load of cream on top.
    This is the same for all Chinese bakeries though. Looks pretty, tastes meh. Give me those cakes from UK or USA which are full of cream, sugar, jam and icing any day! yum!
    shri and MatthieuTofu like this.

What is the listed company name for Maxim's Group or is that it?

Maxim's is private.

Loz_2 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast