Like Tree25Likes

October Thoughts ...

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,331

    October Thoughts ...

    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    That is wrong on many levels. The police do not give out discipline and the do work for the people of the society.
    It was a hypothetical suggestion as to one reason the police are acting in the way they are. It can be wrong but do share your opinion on the real reason. To just say it's the police fault does nothing.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,396

    Why most people would rather not become subjects of the PRC, at least willingly...

    https://twitter.com/theworldindex/st...99873460977665


    (And looking at the Kingdom of Saudi-Arabia, the average citizen is probably more free even there than a "minority" person/subject is in the PRC.)

    Coolboy and spode like this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,682
    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    It was a hypothetical suggestion as to one reason the police are acting in the way they are. It can be wrong but do share your opinion on the real reason. To just say it's the police fault does nothing.
    How about a 5 point plan

    1) Cancelling imprisonment without due process (Internment / Extradition Law)
    2) Amnesty for those not charged (Amnesty / Amnesty)
    3) Review Prosecution and de-escalate from more serious crimes (CPS drops aggressive approach / Justice Departments drops agressive approach)
    4) Public Enquiry into policing
    5) Free and Fair vote with 'opposition able to form the executive if they garner enough votes

    It seems a sensible 5 point plan that requires the executive to show willing and to tackle institutionalised issues in the police through a public enquiry.
    AsianXpat0 and spode like this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,331
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    How about a 5 point plan

    1) Cancelling imprisonment without due process (Internment / Extradition Law)
    2) Amnesty for those not charged (Amnesty / Amnesty)
    3) Review Prosecution and de-escalate from more serious crimes (CPS drops aggressive approach / Justice Departments drops agressive approach)
    4) Public Enquiry into policing
    5) Free and Fair vote with 'opposition able to form the executive if they garner enough votes

    It seems a sensible 5 point plan that requires the executive to show willing and to tackle institutionalised issues in the police through a public enquiry.
    This is a plan, but the topic mentioned over and over again is WHY are the police acting in the way they are acting.

    Should violent protesters be let go free? I do not support that.

    Do you think even if the options were given that the protests would suddenly stop? I do not think the protests would stop, in fact the protests would most certainly escalate, pushing HK into another Taiwan (great place to visit, horrible place to live, no money). Stop all flows of business to China, make housing on HK island affordable, make HK truly independent. These items are not the heart of the protests and combined with the extradition law, this is why the protests generally have so much support, yet I do not think this is about getting those 5 demands, that is for PR purposes, it is about getting China to budge and continue to do so until everything is given.

    Once the Extradition bill was withdrawn, things got much worse.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,682
    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    This is a plan, but the topic mentioned over and over again is WHY are the police acting in the way they are acting.

    Should violent protesters be let go free? I do not support that.

    Do you think even if the options were given that the protests would suddenly stop? I do not think the protests would stop, in fact the protests would most certainly escalate, pushing HK into another Taiwan (great place to visit, horrible place to live, no money). Stop all flows of business to China, make housing on HK island affordable, make HK truly independent. These items are not the heart of the protests and combined with the extradition law, this is why the protests generally have so much support, yet I do not think this is about getting those 5 demands, that is for PR purposes, it is about getting China to budge and continue to do so until everything is given.

    Once the Extradition bill was withdrawn, things got much worse.
    I would suspect a the announcement of 3 public enquiries and an amnesty for minor offences and not tracking people down would probably cool things off.

    If the got all 5 why would things escalate?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    I do not think the protests would stop, in fact the protests would most certainly escalate, pushing HK into another Taiwan (great place to visit, horrible place to live, no money).
    You are talking out of your ass.

    Taiwanese purchasing power is more or less the same as that of hongkongese, plus society is way more equal than that of hongkong. Coffin homes and old ladies working until they drop is not a thing here.

    Furthermore, public health services are far superior to that of HK. If you in HK need to queue for hours to visit the doctor, here you usually get in 20 minutes or so. I think its slightly cheaper here as well.

    In addition to the above, there are many non-economical pluses to taiwan vs. hongkong. The risk of being kidnapped to china is smaller here, you are less likely to be discriminated against due to your political views, you are more likely to have a influence on government policy, etc.

    Sure, there are far less well paying jobs for white people here, but the vast majority who live here are not white expats.

    You cant look at everything trough your own privledged lense and think thats how everyone in society is.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    635

    As I suspected, the median wealth in TW is in fact higher than it in HK(78,000usd vs 58,000usd). So, saying Taiwan has no money and HK does is just stupid.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...alth_per_adult


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto

    (And looking at the Kingdom of Saudi-Arabia, the average male citizen is probably more free even there than a "minority" person/subject is in the PRC.)
    Fixed it for you.
    spode likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,331
    Quote Originally Posted by henkka
    You are talking out of your ass.

    Taiwanese purchasing power is more or less the same as that of hongkongese, plus society is way more equal than that of hongkong. Coffin homes and old ladies working until they drop is not a thing here.

    Furthermore, public health services are far superior to that of HK. If you in HK need to queue for hours to visit the doctor, here you usually get in 20 minutes or so. I think its slightly cheaper here as well.

    In addition to the above, there are many non-economical pluses to taiwan vs. hongkong. The risk of being kidnapped to china is smaller here, you are less likely to be discriminated against due to your political views, you are more likely to have a influence on government policy, etc.

    Sure, there are far less well paying jobs for white people here, but the vast majority who live here are not white expats.

    You cant look at everything trough your own privledged lense and think thats how everyone in society is.
    You are also looking at it from your perspective. I would prefer to have more opportunities to excel personally. Housing is very dodgy in Taiwan and you see a lot of very Chinese mentalities in Taiwan. Dodgy homes built with paint cans instead of cement and food scandals. No thanks.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    You are also looking at it from your perspective.
    Nope, I am not. Although I am currently living in TW(since around 2 years back, and prior to that 9 years in HK), I personally probably would prefer to move back to HK despite what is currently going on there.

    Having said the above, to categorise TW as some negative outcome is just nonsense.

    Taiwan works for the vast majority living here, when again HK works for the small majority. I know which society I find more equitable and desirable, as does the vast majority of Taiwanese who have no desire to have something similar to hongkong implemented here.

    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Housing is very dodgy in Taiwan and you see a lot of very Chinese mentalities in Taiwan. Dodgy homes built with paint cans instead of cement and food scandals.
    Quality of new buildings here is more or less the same as in HK, the difference is that there has been less redevelopment than in HK.

    The reason why the housing stock is older here than in HK is that property developers have less influence over government policy compared to HK.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast