Like Tree347Likes

Oct 2019 - Week 4 - Protest News & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

I am wondering. This extradition bill crisis and the controversies before that (i.e. protests against Article 23, against national education, the Occupy 2014 movement and so on) all reflects something: Hong Kong people can't seem to rule HK. Now before you all jump up in outrage, wait until you finish reading my entire post, because I am not actually supporting that position.

During the handover in 97 and for some years after that, Beijing always like to recite the line "Hong Kong people governing Hong Kong", that the CCP has trust in HK people handling their own affairs, typified by the Chinese idiom of "river water should not interfere with well water", that internal HK affairs should not be mixed with mainland affairs, and by extension mainland officials will not butt into HK governance.

But all that seem to change now. The phrase "Hong Kong people governing Hong Kong" is no longer mentioned in official statements, either from Beijing or the HK government. So what happened? We see mainland officials increasingly butting in, no longer hesitating to "mix river and well water". We saw the kidnap of the booksellers. The banning of candidates for Legco. And throughout all these events, we have one consistent pattern: subpar if not outright incompetent Chief Executives.

The CCP needs a CE it can trust and control, even at the expense of ability and wisdom, hence explaining the list of poor quality CEs. But by doing so, it is also seem to be saying: "See? Hong Kong people can't govern HK after all". This would therefore justified an even stronger hand from Beijing to intervene.

Of course, there are capable and willing people in HK who can become the CE. But they will never be allowed to become one. Not only does the CCP not trust anyone who is not seen as "'red" enough, they don't want anyone who can demonstrate that HK people can govern HK.

But won't that harm HK, and by extension, also harm the CCP's interest? Beijing's calculation may be to find someone who is a bumbling fool, but not so idiotic as to ruin HK, but just keep it running along as it is for the CCP to extract maximum benefit while it plans long-term replacement of HK with Shanghai or some other mainland city. With Lam, Beijing may have overplayed their hand in selecting an utterly moronic CE. But even that may play into their hands long-term. With Lam's extraordinary level of incompetence, it is sending a loud message that HK people have no ability to rule HK, therby providing justification for a future mainland governor of HK or direct rule from Beijing.

tomcat98, bak875, R.O. and 1 others like this.

That blue die seems to wash off easily - Chugani was smurfed on face, hair & arms, but not visible now in pic above...

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Of course, there are capable and willing people in HK who can become the CE.
    I am interested to know who these people are exactly.

Maybe news coverage is really poor in Hong Kong but I never seem to hear anyone in the media speak eloquently on providing "practical" solutions to HK's problems. Getting democracy is one thing: it allows people to vote in someone to take charge, but that someone still has to come up with real solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    That blue die seems to wash off easily - Chugani was smurfed on face, hair & arms, but not visible now in pic above...
    So is useless then? I thought the point of it was for later identification?

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Doesn't look the sort to be a fan of a blue rinse to me

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat98:

Maybe news coverage is really poor in Hong Kong but I never seem to hear anyone in the media speak eloquently on providing "practical" solutions to HK's problems. Getting democracy is one thing: it allows people to vote in someone to take charge, but that someone still has to come up with real solutions.
    This isn't about a single "one" person. More like selecting from those who have not been considered or ruled out for political reasons so far. Probably not from most existing Legco members, the pro-establishment are simply tools told to vote by the Liasion Office and really can't think for themselves. Nor are they capable of doing what is in the best interest of HK, given the thugs that occupy their ranks. The pro-democrats have no governance experience and will find the transition from opposition to governance rather hard going. It would have to be someone who have a grasp of how the government works as well as Beijing's intentions and also what HK people think. Someone who can mediate between Beijing and Hong Kong.

He or she would also need to have a grasp of geopolitics and international relations. While the Basic Law states foreign affairs of HK will be under Beijing's jurisdiction, HK does have a wide latitude to engage in lesser forms of foreign relations. Lam clearly didn't grasp this or is ignorant of the Taiwan sensitivities, otherwise she would not have done what she did.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 21-10-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    tomcat98 likes this.

Unruly mob outside the mosque in TST? Doesn't look like it from the video on this page.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/embed/p07rkym3/50115629

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50115629

About a score of people have begun a sit-in at Causeway Bay I’m guessing for the Yuen Long 3-month anniversary. Any sightings at other stations?

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat98:

You are now living in a pluralistic society. There is no enlightened one that has ideas beyond reproach.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast