Like Tree231Likes

What is the endgame?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14

removed

Quote Originally Posted by tf19
    bro, I went to CWB in advance to secure the reservation as I also was trying to pickup the cake for my son from the Make It cake shop on Jaffe Road.

I took the 23 bus from Central where I was working which normally stops at SOGO and was re-routed to the other side of Gloucester highway which meant I needed to cross the pedestrian bridge to get to Jaffe.... meanwhile I realized I was in the thick of black shirt / police stand off in which I decided to walk back to North Point and tell my relative / friends that the luncheon is off.

I didn't state there was violence at the time but I was told by the restaurant and the cake shop that we could not hold our event as planned. Later there was violence which I am glad that my parents and baby were not subjected to.

Long story short, I wish was like MandM and had the luxury of having my family gatherings in the US without disruption.
    Edit: We did the best we could to recoup the situation but still lost out on the restaurant down payment fee (2000) and cake (600) in the name of democracy.
    If the Police had allowed the rally in Victoria Park you almost certainly would of been fine to go. They didn't so you weren't. As tourist numbers are down surely tons of places to choose as an alternative
    MatthieuTofu and junichitsuyo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19
    Thanks for the comment - the whole point of my "whine" is that we attempted some normalcy. Since I don't use the apps or websites that protestors use (actually I rely on geoexpat for most of my news) it honestly took us by surprise. Also we booked the banquet months in advance with some optimism that the demonstrations wouldn't affect the event.

I don't blame the caterer or the bakery for taking our deposits without refund - no one could have followed through with the original terms (i.e., no one would be able to attend and pay for the services because of the disruption).

My only takeaway from this whole whinge is that Hong Kong is no longer a good place to live - fine if you want to call it a revolution - compared to the alternative.
    Well a belated happy 100th day birthday to your kid, and sorry again you didn't manage to hold your banquet.

There were actually references to the rallies here on geoexpat on the protest schedule, courtesy of a few people kindly keeping us all updated, but it's possible you might have missed it. Obviously that won't help if you made the booking months in advance, but I'm still surprised they wouldn't offer to refund your money given they weren't offering to perform the agreed services.

Hong Kong is certainly no longer what it was before June, whether you are opposed to tear gas, MTR disruptions, protest activities, or all of the above. If you can adapt, it won't be as bad, but it certainly isn't what you bargained for. Be safe, and try to take it in your stride while you are still here.

Thanks for your earlier offer of a drink by the way. Must decline your kind offer because as terrified as people might be of speaking Mandarin (or rightly prudent to avoid it), a lot of people will be equally or even more wary of being identified as sympathetic to the protests. Look what happened to the people working for Cathay. It is appreciated nonetheless.
    junichitsuyo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ASIANXPAT0
    I'm still surprised they wouldn't offer to refund your money given they weren't offering to perform the agreed services.
    Of course they would. Much more likely they were open but tf19 decided not to go. If the restaurant was the one backing out, they wouldn't be able to keep any deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    If the Police had allowed the rally in Victoria Park you almost certainly would of been fine to go. They didn't so you weren't. As tourist numbers are down surely tons of places to choose as an alternative
    Thanks to the police mess up the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Of course they would. Much more likely they were open but tf19 decided not to go. If the restaurant was the one backing out, they wouldn't be able to keep any deposit.
    There is indeed a incoherence in what he said: he says he didn’t bother/couldn’t go to the restaurant to secure his reservation because the bus was diverted onto Gloucester Road and couldn’t (be bothered?) to cross the footbridge into CWB. However he also states that the restaurant told him (later?) that his reservation was cancelled by the restaurant and that he couldn’t recoup his down payment.

Me thinks reservation was cancelled because he couldn’t/didn’t bother securing his reservation by walking around the standoff between police and protesters rather than the restaurant cruelly withholding his down payment.

Quote Originally Posted by a voice
    Thanks to the police mess up the whole thing.
    It wasn't the police, it WAS CARRIE LAM!!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14