Like Tree114Likes

39 found dead in a lorry in Essex, England

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Seems at least some of them are Vietnamese not Chinese.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-50185788

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    "She called us when she reached each destination. The first attempt she made to cross the border to the UK was 19 October, but she got caught and turned back. I don't know for sure from which port."
    I guess they had visas to Schengen (?) - and then tried to cross over to England.
    This is very common - try again and again until they succeed.

The system is broken - responsibility ends at the border, but they (police, security guards) should not just turn them back when they are caught - they know they will try again, but it is somehow not their problem.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...b22943892062b9

very sad story. Apparently her Vietnamese family paid £30,000 for her journey. That’s a lot of money for Vietnamese. If they had that sort of money it seems strange to need to migrate. Possibly borrowed though which would cause more difficulties for the family or her having to ‘earn’ it back in the UK.

a messed up world!

I think a lot of this discussion is pretty disgusting going into political point scoring re: China, particularly as 1) so many people have died fleeing for a better life, 2) they might not have even been Chinese.

Rise above it, people!

So sorry to see these young people to die this way. They clearly are people who have been misinformed or having misconception of this world. When I was at their age I have had a lot of fantasy of this world but at the same time can be very depressive of my own situation. I think it was just luck that some of the things I did hadn't led me into death.

Given the amount of money they paid for the journey and the young woman had a mobile phone, they aren't poor people. Its so unfortunate, they could already have a better life without going onto this trip. They are people who wanted to climb to a higher level but didn't know how and have been misled.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    So it was cold and not lack of oxygen that did it? Horrible accident.
    Correct, it was lack of oxygen as the message was "I can't breath".

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...b22943892062b9

very sad story. Apparently her Vietnamese family paid £30,000 for her journey. That’s a lot of money for Vietnamese. If they had that sort of money it seems strange to need to migrate. Possibly borrowed though which would cause more difficulties for the family or her having to ‘earn’ it back in the UK.

a messed up world!
    The costs may be meet by her new employers in the uk, in exchange for working off the debt.

China was blaming the UK and EU, now it might be the China themselves to blame as the illegal migrants were travelling via China

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast