Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Reply
Page 109 of 143 FirstFirst ... 101 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 117 ... LastLast
  1. #1081

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    4,504
    Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    More into in the SCMP article:
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...lice-acquitted

    There are now two instances of unreputable HKPF witnesses taking the stand as deemed by two distinct magistrates. Why did the justice department bother pursuing this case to begin with?
    In the absence of a successful prosecution, they still manage taxpayer funded persecution with no avenues for recourse with an unelected (no universal suffrage) government. Why wouldn’t they?
    Sage, Mefisto and MatthieuTofu like this.

  2. #1082

    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    In the absence of a successful prosecution, they still manage taxpayer funded persecution with no avenues for recourse with an unelected (no universal suffrage) government. Why wouldn’t they?
    Basic human decency would be a good place to start. But, alas, this is Hong Kong.
    Sage likes this.

  3. #1083

  4. #1084

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,173
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Surely the Police must be a little worried that the reduced number of press at public events will increase the risk of abuses of power going unnoticed. Perhaps they alternative plans to solve this potential conundrum
    Coolboy likes this.

  5. #1085

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Surely the Police must be a little worried that the reduced number of press at public events will increase the risk of abuses of power going unnoticed. Perhaps they alternative plans to solve this potential conundrum
    Another step against journalist covering police abuse.

    The logic is simple: No journalists around=no oversight=increased abuse.

  6. #1086

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Surely the Police must be a little worried that the reduced number of press at public events will increase the risk of abuses of power going unnoticed. Perhaps they alternative plans to solve this potential conundrum
    That's a straightforward matter. There will be an official police press corp, getting full access to all events and presenting the news just how they (CCP) like it!

  7. #1087

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Another step against journalist covering police abuse.

    The logic is simple: No journalists around=no oversight=increased abuse.

    Do you mean these journalists are not reliable and trustworthy?
    if they are registered with the government's Information Services Department, or are a member of an internationally-known media group.
    Everyone with camera & video on their mobile phones can be a "citizen journalists" nowadays, they just use different platforms. TVs vs Social medias.
    Sadly, the lines are getting thinner between news and opinions

  8. #1088

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    4,504
    https://twitter.com/JackHHazl...69253394739202

    Without stepping into the sandpit of what is supposed to be “fake” press who are committing no crimes except in the eyes of the police...

  9. #1089

    Police checks are more common, but understandable because of what happened in these two years. the young people using violence to show dissatisfaction led to other good young people being checked more often on the streets, many young people avoid wearing black suggested by their parents.


  10. #1090

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,410
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Police checks are more common, but understandable because of what happened in these two years. the young people using violence to show dissatisfaction led to other good young people being checked more often on the streets, many young people avoid wearing black suggested by their parents.
    Methinks you should go back and re-read this very thread.
    MatthieuTofu and Mefisto like this.