Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Reply
Page 115 of 143 FirstFirst ... 107 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1141

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,151
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    I have voted in every election I have had a chance to vote in during my time in Hong Kong. However, the time had come when I was not sure whether I would want to vote in the next election, or whether there would be a candidate standing worth voting for. So, this mass resignation has come at the right time, if not a little late. What happens next - I'm not sure. I do think that a government with no opposing voices, or at least a government which refuses to listen to opposing voices, is a government which is going to get even worse with its policy making.

  2. #1142

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    is a government which is going to get even worse with its policy making.
    which is kind of what we had anyway already

  3. #1143

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,608

    I actually wonder whether the democrats shouldn't now push for the abolishment of the entire Legco to drive the point home and tickle the topic a bit more


  4. #1144

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,173
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    I actually wonder whether the democrats shouldn't now push for the abolishment of the entire Legco to drive the point home and tickle the topic a bit more
    Wouldn't that now be seditious?

  5. #1145

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    999

    Compromise is NOT in the CCP vocabulary.
    Obedience and ignorance are uppercase.


  6. #1146

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Compromise is NOT in the CCP vocabulary.
    Obedience and ignorance are uppercase.
    Would remaining Legco members be now facing sanctions from the US? That could be a possibility.

  7. #1147

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,476

    US indicates more sanctions will be forthcoming in response to the ouster of the 4 democrats:

    https://hongkongfp.com/2020/11/12/us...dJTGRlMEVoRg..


  8. #1148

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,950
    https://hongkongfp.com/2020/11/12/be...-central-govt/


    if you run with a democracy agenda it’s wrong and you get disqualified. If you resign it’s also wrong? I’m confused... what else should they do then? Die?

    Lam said she is “excited” by the new laws... I don’t know if they already have a “dictator porn” category on Pornhub, if not it should be created for her and her fellows.

  9. #1149

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong, from UK
    Posts
    3,701
    Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    if you run with a democracy agenda it’s wrong and you get disqualified. If you resign it’s also wrong? I’m confused... what else should they do then? Die?
    Submit. Comply. Be 'patriotic'. Do as you're told by the Emperor.

    Continue providing a fig leaf for a government which has entirely abandoned anything except kowtowing to their superiors but would still like to maintain the pretence of 1C2S for the sake of convenience and international business.

    That's what they are expected to do.
    mucaari and Mefisto like this.

  10. #1150

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    to maintain the pretence of 1C2S for the sake of convenience and international business.
    Does any Western government seriously still believe 1C2S exist? They might not say out loud, but their actions seem to indicate they are increasingly treating that as history. Suspending extradition treaties is only a first step I fear...