Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Page 119 of 143 FirstFirst ... 111 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 127 ... LastLast

https://twitter.com/alvinllum...58642758643712

https://twitter.com/alvinllum...76518534242306

Not that the law actually matters with these things anymore, but for reference...
    Coolboy likes this.

My heart bleeds for the Catholic Church

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    My heart bleeds for the Catholic Church
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    why?
    Next to the Roman Catholic Church and its behaviour down the ages, the CCP look like a bunch of holy men.

Next to the Roman Catholic Church and its behaviour down the ages, the CCP look like a bunch of holy men.
    Perhaps if there were a free press in China your confidence would be warranted but without it a totalitarian system of government looks particularly prone to abuses going un-reported. Your thoughts?

Perhaps if there were a free press in China your confidence would be warranted but without it a totalitarian system of government looks particularly prone to abuses going un-reported. Your thoughts?
    Whereas the Catholic Church is widely known as a beacon of transparency and hope

So a priest at my local church on Peng Chau worked in China for 9 years and then...suddenly shipped to HK. He doesn't talk about it much (Polish, grew up under communism, he knows the rules). However, I suspect things were getting dicey when his order pulled him out for somewhere safer (not many priest arrests on Peng Chau...).

Whereas the Catholic Church is widely known as a beacon of transparency and hope
    I think many would agree with you that relative to the CCP the Catholic Church is much more transparent and has the 5th estate to uncover and pressure better behaviour. Sure both the CCP and the Catholic Church have had much publicized problems in the mid to late 20c and you think the CCP has been better the the Catholic Church which is an opinion that shows people value things differently.

Name:  CHINA.FIG1.1.GIF
Views: 184
Size:  4.3 KB

Name:  kh-map-catholic-church-sex-abuse.jpg
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  Bishops-Council-Chart-a.png
Size:  47.3 KB
    ReleaseZeKraken likes this.

I think many would agree with you that relative to the CCP the Catholic Church is much more transparent and has the 5th estate to uncover and pressure better behaviour. Sure both the CCP and the Catholic Church have had much publicized problems in the mid to late 20c and you think the CCP has been better the the Catholic Church which is an opinion that shows people value things differently.

Name:  CHINA.FIG1.1.GIF
Size:  4.3 KB

Name:  kh-map-catholic-church-sex-abuse.jpg
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  Bishops-Council-Chart-a.png
Size:  47.3 KB
    For the Catholic Church, it's 20th Century abuses are the merest tip of the iceberg.

The CCP has raised hundreds of millions of people out of poverty in the last 50 years, people who had been living under a system of feudal surfdom for millennia.

The Catholic Church, more than almost any other organisation in the World, has spent most of the last two millennia labouring to keep most people in darkness and surfdom.