Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Page 122 of 143 FirstFirst ... 114 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 130 ... LastLast

Also millions died in the crusades, and that is JUST A START

Really, in the Catholic church the CCP has met its match

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    I agree that the CCP has done things that are not good.
    And still does?

Also millions died in the crusades, and that is JUST A START

Really, in the Catholic church the CCP has met its match
    I think the bit you're missing is that the Catholic churche's worst crimes happened many hundreds of years ago.

IF the CCP had been around at the same time AND for as long overall...... (fill in the blanks)

And therein lies a big part of the answer, the Church has been around for a very l.o.n.g time, if it was as bad as you're making out, that wouldn't be the case.

Even on the scale of 2000 yrs vs 70 I'm not sure I'd agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I think the bit you're missing is that the Catholic churche's worst crimes happened many hundreds of years ago.

IF the CCP had been around at the same time AND for as long overall...... (fill in the blanks)

And therein lies a big part of the answer, the Church has been around for a very l.o.n.g time, if it was as bad as you're making out, that wouldn't be the case.

Even on the scale of 2000 yrs vs 70 I'm not sure I'd agree with you.
    So your point is that organisations that have historically done VERY BAD THINGS but survive to the current day, are being made to become better behaved and actually starting to help in the world and making poor people better off now? Well that is great!

Which of the two organisations in question were we talking about again?

I agree that the CCP has done things that are not good.
    You mean like killing 45 million people during the great leap forward and another 20 million during the cultural revolution? Or the 1.2 million Tibetans killed and the 336 million abortions under the one child policy? Now there is an understatement if I've ever seen one.

So your point is that organisations that have historically done VERY BAD THINGS but survive to the current day, are being made to become better behaved and actually starting to help in the world and making poor people better off now? Well that is great!

Which of the two organisations in question were we talking about again?
    Can you give some examples of where the CCP have done bad things?

Discussing bus routes now NSL risk?

"platform was simply meant to promote cross-district cooperation and discuss livelihood issues, such as the Lantau Tomorrow reclamation project, bus route plans, and the development of public hospitals."

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...1-20201231.htm

Elegiaque likes this.

F-ing police all over the place in North Point and Causeway Bay today...bunch of young men randomly being stopped and harassed and staring people down at a Free HK table set up for petitions outside Sogo...is this our NSL future ? The stairs outside the Beer Bay closed for Covid...red tape across the hand railings...⁷

aw451 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    F-ing police all over the place in North Point and Causeway Bay today...bunch of young men randomly being stopped and harassed and staring people down at a Free HK table set up for petitions outside Sogo...is this our NSL future ? The stairs outside the Beer Bay closed for Covid...red tape across the hand railings...⁷
    They are definitely doing their best to prevent a new wave of protests by being as visibile as possible. Effectively a white terror, as the protestors originally said.

On the other hand, I have noticed that a lot of the Yellow Economy outlets who self censored due to the NSL have started to be more openly yellow again.
    mucaari, Mefisto and MABinPengChau like this.