Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Page 125 of 143 FirstFirst ... 117 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 133 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Greghouse:

Superintendent Chan noted there had been fewer applicants in 2019 as people realised how dangerous the job could be, but the number had picked up since last year.

Isn’t that considered an illegal assembly? 2000 people?? 5 years jail time for each

Sunday afternoon I was enjoying a dindin ride with the kids. Passing through wanchai we noticed a lot of police on the street... Then we briefly witnessed the following scene from our second floor window: a group of around ten policemen all around a yellow umbrella with the union jack. In the middle, an old lady who looked a lot like grandma Wong. Very likely to be arrested, we assumed.

In the evening I looked for news about that but couldn’t find any on RTHK nor HKFP. This morning I was able to find confirmation only on Dim Sum Daily. It was her and she was arrested. Police were in the area en masse to prevent an early commemorative event for June 4th.

Here the article. The second photo in it depicts what we saw from our dindin window. Only when we passed by there were many more officers around her.

https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/grandma-w...oration-rally/

shri and Tom007 like this.

Another sensational story brought to you by the Hong Kong Police Farce

Interesting to see how slow some other news outlets picking up the story .. there you go

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-arrested-over

Baklava likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    Sunday afternoon I was enjoying a dindin ride with the kids. Passing through wanchai we noticed a lot of police on the street... Then we briefly witnessed the following scene from our second floor window: a group of around ten policemen all around a yellow umbrella with the union jack. In the middle, an old lady who looked a lot like grandma Wong. Very likely to be arrested, we assumed.

In the evening I looked for news about that but couldn’t find any on RTHK nor HKFP. This morning I was able to find confirmation only on Dim Sum Daily. It was her and she was arrested. Police were in the area en masse to prevent an early commemorative event for June 4th.

Here the article. The second photo in it depicts what we saw from our dindin window. Only when we passed by there were many more officers around her.

https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/grandma-w...oration-rally/
    Please stop looking at Dimsumdaily as some kind of news-source, they have been found to fake articles countless times. Many examples have been cited before on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Please stop looking at Dimsumdaily as some kind of news-source, they have been found to fake articles countless times. Many examples have been cited before on this forum.
    And also, many a time they've found the right social media posts and turned them into updates.

Yes, it has been proven inaccurate - or atleast labeled as inaccurate.

BUT... in this case, like many others recently they've surfaced a story before the traditional media outlets have.
    Baklava likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    I know I know. But after the scene I saw from the tram I was trying to find out more, couldn’t find anything on the usual sources, so I searched for “grandma Wong May 30th 2021” and Dim Sum Daily was the only website reporting the news. In this case what they reported seems to match what happened.
    shri, Gatts, Tom007 and 1 others like this.