Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Reply
Page 128 of 143 FirstFirst ... 120 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 136 ... LastLast
  1. #1271

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,151

    Journalist tries to leave - arrested at airport.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-fung-wai-kong


  2. #1272

  3. #1273

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    628

    Hypothetically imagine walking on the street, some random overzealous type put sticker on your backpack or you are unknowingly carrying something resembling something and get caught, practically screwed up and depending on how things turn out/settle eventually, not sure if one could get CNCC for visa purpose in case wants to relocate to other country.. Quite blur line there..


  4. #1274

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Taiwan and sometimes HK
    Posts
    5,129

    Double plus good to see the Thought Police are on the job!


  5. #1275

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,264
    Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Hypothetically imagine walking on the street, some random overzealous type put sticker on your backpack or you are unknowingly carrying something resembling something and get caught, practically screwed up and depending on how things turn out/settle eventually, not sure if one could get CNCC for visa purpose in case wants to relocate to other country.. Quite blur line there..
    This is a very extreme case, since you can make that point about planting drugs or some other illegal stuff on another person too.

    But I get what you mean and I guess the concerning thing is that the law is so vague and it really depends on the authorities interpretation (and how much they hate you).

  6. #1276

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    999

    Does anyone think every policeman/woman really accepts and supports these laws for such mild mannered 'offenses'?
    I know: someone gotta do it.


  7. #1277

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,264
    Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Does anyone think every policeman/woman really accepts and supports these laws for such mild mannered 'offenses'?
    I know: someone gotta do it.
    It's a job for them. Same as most soldiers or law enforcement agents. They do what they are told. Thats the training and culture they are given.

    But if they believe against it enough, they may well quit or create some resistance. But throughout history, that is a minority.

  8. #1278

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    517

    Amnesty International finally catching up?

    https://twitter.com/rthk_enews/statu...323065348?s=21

    dossier likes this.

  9. #1279

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    517

    Who do they think they’re fooling?

    https://twitter.com/rthk_enews/statu...708036097?s=21

    Mcdavid and dossier like this.

  10. #1280

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Greghouse:
    Amnesty International finally catching up?

    https://twitter.com/rthk_enews/statu...323065348?s=21
    Took them a while to wake up to reality, I gotta say.