Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Page 15 of 143 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    Great!
    police force needs to be disciplined from inside and more people needs to be involved in joining the force, including the minorities.
    in the past, being a police officers are the last thing young people would do. just like the last resort when no other jobs suits them or no school would accept them. some rather being unemployed than being a police officer . the job is too hard, the money not worth it, long hour, etc etc
    no wonder we have such "quality" in the force.
    "in the past, being a police officers are the last thing young people would do"

NOT the case.

Lets just say, people who wanted to be docs, real estate sales guys etc were never on the list of people who wanted to join the force at an entry level.

However, a LOT of young men and women choose public service - they're good people. These days, they choose other disciplined / uniformed services and not HKPF.

Their education levels are on par with what their job requires. Despite what the protestors say - you don't need university degrees to patrol the streets and do their jobs as a policemen/women.

For their education levels (again - not everyone wants to or can go to Uni) the pay scales are pretty good. And keep in mind, this is a job for life - which you will not get in the commercial world.

It is the job for life thing that can be used to effectively create a working police force, or a police force that feels that they can do whatever they want because they cannot get fired.
    Last edited by shri; 08-11-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    AsianXpat0 and juanalias like this.

Their education levels are on par with what their job requires. Despite what the protestors say - you don't need university degrees to patrol the streets and do your job as a policeman.
    i think this kind of mentality in the society makes people look down on HKPF. it's not like the job to make you proud.
    this should be changed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    i think this kind of mentality in the society makes people look down on HKPF. it's not like the job to make you proud.
    this should be changed too.
    A reflection on how badly things have deteriorated. It is no longer "big brother who helps me", it is "arsehole who beats me". From the police side, it is no longer "my neighbour who I went to school with", it is "the cockroach who wants to get intimate with my mother".

Oh well... its all academic anyways. Not too optimistic that there will be a generational and positive change after these current events.
    Andy SNK likes this.

IMHO what’s fundamentally missing is an effective framework to uphold accountability. The best men would fail in a corrupted system that lacks checks and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Asulike:
    IMHO what’s fundamentally missing is an effective framework to uphold accountability. The best men would fail in a corrupted system that lacks checks and balance.
    Can’t like this enough. The rot really starts from the top with this one.

What is needed is for parties on all sides of the divide to stop being so polarised. Until that happens we are going nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    What is needed is for parties on all sides of the divide to stop being so polarised. Until that happens we are going nowhere
    Well who is promoting polarisation, and who is opposing an independent inquiry?

If you consider these two questions, then maybe you can turn your frustration in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    In the UK or US, citizens don't throw petrol bombs into the metro station or at police stations.

The hooligans in Hong Kong are pretty hardcore and require more forceful measures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    In your mind does these "forceful measures" include the unlawful police brutalities, beating up protesters after arrests, not displaying any identification numbers, working openly with triads, random arrests of peaceful protesters/onlookers, declaring lawful assemblies as "illegal", firing burning teargas canisters directly at people,... I could go on and about such well-documented unlawful behavior. Or do you only single out anti-CCP protesters?
    @Seagulls! : Waiting on your answer.
    junichitsuyo and Paxbritannia like this.

Page 15 of 143 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast