Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Page 33 of 143 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 41 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_...les_de_Menezes

You forgot the Brazilian electrician who was shot on suspicion of being a terrorist.

Like I said - if more of them had guns, more people would get shot.
    2005 wasn't in the past ten years. Try and get the basics right if you are going to nitpick over utter bollocks.

FWIW - 1,000 people shot dead per year in the US by police. So 10,000 people over the past decade... compared to 1 in the UK. Upsize the UK population and that's still a police killing rate 1000 times lower.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8777046.html

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Was he at a protest?
    He was (wrongly) suspected of being involved in a terrorist attack - this was shortly after the country was on high alert after multiple terrorist attacks earlier that month which killed 52 people.

To everyone missing my point:

Among minority communities in Britain the police are not known for being kind and loving souls. They do commit abuses. I notice you skipped an article I posted from this year - 2019 - about police beating a non-white man whose car had a blue badge and was having a seizure which sparked community protests in response.

Police in America are more likely to shoot suspects (or non-suspects) because they have guns. And so do members of the public. So it is ridiculous to compare UK, French or any other force where officers do not carry guns. Because obviously people who do not have guns, cannot shoot anyone with guns.

HK police are behaving poorly absolutely. But let's not fall into the expat trap of then claiming everything done in the good old homeland is perfect.

Personally there is not a police force in the world that I as a citizen would implicitly trust.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm guessing unless their target has a gun, has a bomb, or has murderous intent, precious few indeed.

Can we imagine a copper like Andy COx saying something like this this in Hong Kong these days?

Supt Andy Cox, who leads the force’s component of London’s Vision Zero road safety campaign, tweeted: “Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have tasked a review into the circumstances of this interaction and use of #StopSearch.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...e-drugs-search

Among minority communities in Britain the police are not known for being kind and loving souls. They do commit abuses. I notice you skipped an article I posted from this year - 2019 - about police beating a non-white man whose car had a blue badge and was having a seizure which sparked community protests in response.

Police in America are more likely to shoot suspects (or non-suspects) because they have guns. And so do members of the public. So it is ridiculous to compare UK, French or any other force where officers do not carry guns. Because obviously people who do not have guns, cannot shoot anyone with guns.

HK police are behaving poorly absolutely. But let's not fall into the expat trap of then claiming everything done in the good old homeland is perfect.

Personally there is not a police force in the world that I as a citizen would implicitly trust.
    While taking your point, the hope for any accountability from a police force (rather than a segment of rogues) that is rampaging through the streets is significantly less than in any other developed country with this standard of living. That really is the point of departure. It also neglects the fact that the local community is on average perhaps less violent than some of the others you might think of. Therefore the corresponding outrage about the disproportionate use of force by the police, including on innocents, and escalation of violence from some protesters in response. The unapologetic tone from the top, the constant lies and brainwashing, and the attitude that they can do no wrong in uniform (which predates the protests), merely exacerbates it all.

This twitter thread seems to fit here

https://twitter.com/Banoffee_Pi/stat...01301378379776

Hong Kong Government: Police can enter any private premises without owner's approval

Secretary for Security John Lee Ka-chiu said there is no lawless frontier in Hong Kong . The police are allowed to enter any private premises, without the need to obtain the owner's approval, when they have to make arrest or in case of illegal activities. Lee also said, the request to ban police from applying lethal weapon in malls or residential areas is impossible and also unreasonable; the police only use force when it is necessary.

Source: RTHK News #Nov20

[ Editor's note:
    According to section 50(7) of the Police Force Ordinance, the police can only enter and search any premises if they believe that the person to be arrested is in the premises. Otherwise, a warrant issued by a Magistrate or an approval of the owner or occupant is required to enter the premises.

Reference: Community Legal Information Centre https://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/po...wers/q6.shtml]

#HongKongLaw #HongKongPolice
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

John Lee should have been the first minister sacked months ago.

I think most police forces struggle with the balance of higher crime rates in the urban poor and many urban poor being ethnic minorities. HK Police is no different. A nepalese chef is more likely to be stopped on the street than a french chef in this town (OK now it;s school kids)

I think on about 5 or 6 occasions when an occasional poster has made bold statements that UK/USA/AUS/USA etc the riot control measures would be much more violent I have asked for recent videos to support this. Nada. If is an easy to spin narrative but not true.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Page 33 of 143 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 41 ... LastLast