Like Tree1968Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Page 57 of 143 FirstFirst ... 49 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 65 ... LastLast

Just another day in paradise; another foreign scholar denied entry upon arrival, simply because...?

@MatthewConnors_, a photo professor at the Massachusetts College of Art, has been detained at immigration for the past 5+ hours trying to enter Hong Kong and is being put on a flight back to NYC at 1 a.m. He was here last year documenting the protests
    He was arrested last year but apparently not charged. He hasn't been given a reason for being refused at the border other than not meeting entry criteria
    (tweet)

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Just another day in paradise; another foreign scholar denied entry upon arrival, simply because...?

(tweet)
    Let's see how it will feel like for HK officials to be denied entry to the US? Right, they are actively avoiding the US now for fear of causing a political embarrassment to their boss in Beijing if they are banned from entry? Really? Let's see how long they can avoid travel to the US of A. Eventually, they can't avoid going to the US for offical business reasons, there is a Hong Kong Economic and Trade office in Washington after all, unless they want that office to be empty, they will have to replace and assign new staff there...
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Senior part-time Hong Kong police officer suspended over suspected leaking of protest operational plans on New Year’s Eve
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...icer-suspended

AsianXpat0 and MatthieuTofu like this.

Name:  IMG_20200104_092408.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  673.3 KB

I still don't get this:
    - so far it's been the popo shooting teargas and pepper spray from bridges, not "radicals"
    - they seem to be fairly easy to remove. I'm sure a couple front liners with a wrench would have a field day

Ah. This is again about preventing journalists doing their job, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow:

I still don't get this:
    - so far it's been the popo shooting teargas and pepper spray from bridges, not "radicals"
    - they seem to be fairly easy to remove. I'm sure a couple front liners with a wrench would have a field day

Ah. This is again about preventing journalists doing their job, is it?
    To be fair, the government has never hid its love of non-sensical fences and barriers. Unfortunately the government is paying no attention to the protests or March - or even the city- so they haven't noticed what a mockery has been made of their poor designs as protesters take down barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    Senior part-time Hong Kong police officer suspended over suspected leaking of protest operational plans on New Year’s Eve
    Oh dear, must people with a conscience suffer?

His family member or “friend” shouldn’t have exposed him to such scrutiny. Maybe internal politicking instead?
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    Still waiting for the copper who blinded the Indonesian Journalist to be suspended. They know who it is, what are they waiting for? (Rhetorical question)
    AsianXpat0 and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Still waiting for the copper who blinded the Indonesian Journalist to be suspended. They know who it is, what are they waiting for? (Rhetorical question)
    They are waiting for it to go away

Hong Kong police identify officer linked to shooting that left foreign journalist blind in one eye, but refuse to release name

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    I'm so angry about this. He needs out NOW and arrested!
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow:
    [trimmed]
    Exactamundo.

I can practically hear the cheers when the grills come down to be repurposed from being public nuisance to something potentially useful.
    CharSiuNow likes this.

Page 57 of 143 FirstFirst ... 49 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 65 ... LastLast