Like Tree1972Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Closed Thread
Page 75 of 134 FirstFirst ... 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 83 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I said it was one of the more balanced responses not balanced. Very few official statements even budge a millimetre towards any wrongdoing.

I love the way some people on here seem to spend their lives trying to get one over on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    It won’t let me edit it previous post. As to your gaslighting question I have no doubt that young people know how to abide by the law and know that when they are breaking it there may be consequences. But that could be said for a criminal act of any kind under any circumstance.

He can deny police brutality all he likes. Those (plentiful) occasions where they have stepped over the line have been adequately captured.
    Since your post was responding to mine, by "some people", my inference was that you were referring to me. I looked up "get one over on" on Google.
    The Free Dictionary definition.
    To fool or deceive one; to make one the victim of a prank or hoax. I'm not as naïve as I once was, so you won't be getting one over on me again!
    The Urban Dictionary definition.
    To win against someone who is not used to losing.The bank made a mistake in the loan agreement and he was able to get one over on them by making them honour it.
    I'm not sure which you are accusing me of. Perhaps you are uncomfortable with my calling out certain things, when simply I am giving your views credence and investigating what lies behind them, since I assume you think of yourself as reasonable and open to self-evaluation. I will avoid making the mistake of not disregarding your viewpoints and skipping to assuming they are not well-founded in future.

On the content of your original post, if we accept your premise that you were simply remarking that they were "more balanced" but not "balanced", then I will just note as comparison your not commenting upon protesters/rioters blocking fewer roads/vandalising fewer or no MTR stations as something worthy to be appreciative of. In truth, I went looking for some aspect where they (the police) were being accomodating, but failed to find it.

I will leave it as that, as clearly you do not appreciate my trying to make sense of your views for whatever reason.

I note with appreciation your observation that there has been police brutality, although left unresolved is how they are going to be made to face the consequences.

Happy weekend to you.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Since your post was responding to mine, by "some people", my inference was that you were referring to me. I looked up "get one over on" on Google.
    The Free Dictionary definition.

The Urban Dictionary definition.

I'm not sure which you are accusing me of. Perhaps you are uncomfortable with my calling out certain things, when simply I am giving your views credence and investigating what lies behind them, since I assume you think of yourself as reasonable and open to self-evaluation. I will avoid making the mistake of not disregarding your viewpoints and skipping to assuming they are not well-founded in future.

On the content of your original post, if we accept your premise that you were simply remarking that they were "more balanced" but not "balanced", then I will just note as comparison your not commenting upon protesters/rioters blocking fewer roads/vandalising fewer or no MTR stations as something worthy to be appreciative of. In truth, I went looking for some aspect where they (the police) were being accomodating, but failed to find it.

I will leave it as that, as clearly you do not appreciate my trying to make sense of your views for whatever reason.

I note with appreciation your observation that there has been police brutality, although left unresolved is how they are going to be made to face the consequences.

Happy weekend to you.
    Where to start with this one? I’m not calling out you as an individual. It’s more aimed at people sitting in Ivory towers like the Brit who clearly thinks I’m on the side of the police and the establishment.

From day one of the protests there are so many people wearing blinkers on both sides. Until people start accepting the fact that there is bullshit propaganda and in some cases outright lies on both sides, until people start accepting that some of the police are not out of control thugs and until people start accepting the fact that some of the protestors seriously overstep the mark it’s kind of a pointless argument.

As I said in my previous post there are plenty of cases of deplorable police actions with plenty of evidence to back it up. Will many of these officers be suspended or dismissed? Probably not. Should they be? Of course.

On the flip side of that I’m sick of reading from time to time how the oppressed protestors only ever react to police actions, are unjustly arrested and so on. I didn’t comment on your point that the protestors have been less active in recent weeks. 100% agree with you on that you point and the additional note that new police tactics seem to be attempting to clamp down almost immediately on what they see as unlawful assembly with multiple arrests, indiscriminate pepper spray and tear gas etc.

There’s no need for me to comment on here on the police denials. Evidence doesn’t lie. I saw at first hand in the very early days of the protests the police actions in Admiralty for example.

Where I have commented regularly In this place is where I see bullshit on the side of the protestors. They’ve got every right to protest and I have always supported the peaceful protest. I’ll continue to comment on these and acknowledge the fact that I sometimes got/get it wrong.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Tai Po district councillor Herman Yiu reports three people were arrested at Kwong Lai House as of 4am. The overnight arrest operation sparked fears of a wider operation across Hong Kong. Protester social media channels warned those who had been to PolyU in November to leave home.

Although news of an arrest at Tsing Yi MTR station last night is reliably corroborated by local district councillors, it remains far from clear whether reported incidents outside Tai Po amount to a coordinated arrest operation

But protesters will surely remain on edge regardless
    https://twitter.com/aaronMCN/status/1236453579382120448
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Riot police out in force in Taipo on Ting Kok Rd between Tai Wo fire station and temple.

No idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    No idea why.
    I suspect nor do the frontline officers.

Original Post Deleted
    People do fear a knock on the door in the middle of the night in totalitarian regimes.

How many of these middle of the night arrests will end up making it to a conviction?

In "Alienating HK a single person at a time"
    https://twitter.com/studioincendo/st...41796483997701

AsianXpat0 and Mefisto like this.

https://twitter.com/rachel_ch...53481827561472

Each one rougher than the next...clearly bullies, because the more of them handling a detainee, the rougher the treatment they feel is “appropriate”

Closed Thread
Page 75 of 134 FirstFirst ... 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 83 ... LastLast