Like Tree1972Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Closed Thread
Page 89 of 134 FirstFirst ... 81 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 97 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Can I suggest you both do a simple internet search on the perils of taking a photo of UK or US policemen without their permission. It may just shock you into reality.
    Sorry I should have added neither are illegal but both can end up in arrest and interrogation on ‘anti terrorist grounds’

Can I suggest you both do a simple internet search on the perils of taking a photo of UK or US policemen without their permission. It may just shock you into reality.
    Trying to excuse the behavior of the HK police is ridiculous because even if journalists were shot in the US and the UK. There is something called oversight. There are many avenues that people can take to complain there. There are none here... What's next? It's OK for police to beat people up because in the US they beat Rodney King? It's OK for police to steal drugs because some other police officers have done it in the UK?

If you think it's OK to live in a place where police has the right to intimidate people that are doing something they don't like, we certainly don't hold the same values.
    Last edited by Aramis; 10-05-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    Coolboy, rs4 and DennisMilano like this.

You actually think you can openly take pictures of police forces in the UK and the US without being at least questioned.

Let’s have proper informed facts. Taking photos in this way I would argue HK has been relatively weak in comparison to others
    Of course you can. You can even do that in China.

Name:  SAM_0890.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  1.27 MB
    Name:  IMG_1459.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  639.4 KB

Original Post Deleted
    Yes I remember reading one about a protesters deserving to be shot

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Yes I remember reading one about a protesters deserving to be shot
    Feel free to keep throwing that old chestnut up and continuing to post out of context.

Meanwhile it is a SIMPLE point. People are continually (wrongly) arrested elsewhere for the same thing.

Still, keep the blinkers on and keep up the bs. You’re doing just fine.

Yet you seem to continually avoid the even SIMPLER point... No oversight of HK police. HK police satisfaction survey in late December was about 30%. Who is wearing blinkers? the 70% or the 30%? UK is about twice as much. Who is police meant to serve and protect? The public or the government?

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Yet you seem to continually avoid the even SIMPLER point... No oversight of HK police. HK police satisfaction survey in late December was about 30%. Who is wearing blinkers? the 70% or the 30%? UK is about twice as much. Who is police meant to serve and protect? The public or the government?
    That the HK police have said poor leadership isn’t the question. The world point is that wrongful arrest for taking photographs is definitely not unique to HK, therefore nothing to do with a descent into a police state.

I happen to agree with the viewpoint that this is exactly where we are heading

Wow if you think that stopping and searching without a valid reason is not part of the descent into a police state, you would make a great spokesman for the HKPF. You can argue that every single unsavory act that police officers do happen in democratic countries. Ask any black people in the US and they will tell you long lists of police abuses. It's the combination of acts like unlawful stop and search combined with the lack of oversight that creates an atmosphere of repression. This is becoming a place where no bystander should do anything that might displease an officer because there's no way to tell how they will react and you will have no recourse regardless of the action. It's not one particular action that creates a police state, it's the climate created by ALL the unsavory actions done by the HKPF with never an apology or a consequence.

rs4, Baklava, MatthieuTofu and 1 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yep and that is the main difference with a police state and a democracy. It doesn't always work but here they've stopped even pretending

Closed Thread
Page 89 of 134 FirstFirst ... 81 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 97 ... LastLast