Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By aquaman
  • 1 Post By Coolboy

Do you think the that 1989 Tiananmen Square incident has similarities to 1972 bloody Sunday incident, both countries darkest days

Closed Thread

Do you think the that 1989 Tiananmen Square incident has similarities to 1972 bloody Sunday incident, both countries darkest days

Do you think the that 1989 Tiananmen Square incident has similarities to 1972 bloody Sunday incident, both countries darkest days? While the mainland Chinese government fails to acknowledge the brutality of the incident, the UK government has try reparations efforts to learn from the incident with over the past 3 decades, what has been land learnt from these incidents to prevent them from happening again?

I am not ready to write a thesis for your question, but heres a nice read
    https://qz.com/1688553/how-a-hong-ko...YPL&yptr=yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    Do you think the that 1989 Tiananmen Square incident has similarities to 1972 bloody Sunday incident, both countries darkest days? While the mainland Chinese government fails to acknowledge the brutality of the incident, the UK government has try reparations efforts to learn from the incident with over the past 3 decades, what has been land learnt from these incidents to prevent them from happening again?
    However flawed the UK government is (and make no mistake, they have MANY problems), at the end of the day, they operate under a democratic system of government with a free press. So they cannot forever brush ugly history under the carpet. There will be demands for redress for past misdeeds.

Not so Beijing. As an authoritarian one-party state, their power rest on no one questioning their conduct, past or present. So will June 4th ever be seen as what it is, a demand for democracy rather than a "counter-revolution"? Maybe, but I fear not in our lifetimes. I hope I am wrong on this.
    imparanoic likes this.

You can't compare the two events. Two completely different situations.

Bloody Sunday was at the start of The Troubles and led to a military build-up, sectarian violence, and 30 years of bloodshed. Britain didn't hold a real inquiry until 1998, 25+ years after the event.