Like Tree332Likes

15/11 - Operation Dawn 5.0

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    More than that many many profession require a clean record and the record is examined every licence renewal : not withstand declaration on entry to many countries Australia included and for visa : the list goes on : years down the track when this situation is a series of stories for many of us the protesters will still be easily identifiable by our all seeing communist rulers : they have long memories and modern technology makes soft persecution easily : government job : school : contract : forget it : I am trying to keep a balanced opinion on all this but the protesters are doomed one way or the other (you can say doomed with a dad's army Fraser accent for better effect )
    The protesters know they face an uphill battle. They say they are sacrificing their future and they don't care. Besides, it is hardly conducive to long-term stability of the city to have a politically stigmatized group deprived of jobs and well-being. That will guarantee further polarization and clashes down the road.
    hongkong7, AsianXpat0 and rs4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I think your mixing the executive and civil service up. It is perfectly possible to carry out your civil servant duties at work and go to anti-government rallies at night. It's like working in a Vegan restaurant all day then having steak and chips for your supper. Being arrested is not the same as being guilty. Why should some crimes require instant dismissal and not others?
    Technically true mate : I am not a civil servant but I am under similar terms : I can fully assure you right from the start we have been warned of consequences : similar to veiled threat : and the top top guy everyone knows is heavily pro China : you will find every large organisation in Hong Kong has been getting stack at the top by the right people in China eyes : it's been going on years : I am the only gwailo and I see my colleagues super cautious to avoid reveal side to each other: your sympathies can easily go up line via a frenemy

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The protesters know they face an uphill battle. They say they are sacrificing their future and they don't care. Besides, it is hardly conducive to long-term stability of the city to have a politically stigmatized group deprived of jobs and well-being. That will guarantee further polarization and clashes down the road.
    Agreed, unfortunately it's the elixir of youth that causes such short term planning. I think we were all like that durinf those ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoista:
    Agreed, unfortunately it's the elixir of youth that causes such short term planning. I think we were all like that durinf those ages.
    Ending up with a large group of people that the authorities force them to be unemployed, deprived of rights and well-being is not a sound policy for stability that the CCP always love to cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Ending up with a large group of people that the authorities force them to be unemployed, deprived of rights and well-being is not a sound policy for stability that the CCP always love to cherish.
    As you stated it's not desirable to have populations of unemployment as it's correlated to social unrest and crime. I don't think they will be unemployed, just that they will have less opportunities compared to those who don't have a record.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoista:
    As you stated it's not desirable to have populations of unemployment as it's correlated to social unrest and crime. I don't think they will be unemployed, just that they will have less opportunities compared to those who don't have a record.
    Meaning the bitterness and anger can potentially cross generations, their kids and so on. Cleaving society into a well-off "politically correct" and a poor "politically incorrect" populations does not sound smart to me in fostering social harmony (another stated virtue of the CCP), but I don't think the HK government ever thinks about long-term consequences of their action.
    MatthieuTofu and AsianXpat0 like this.

Was supposed to fly back last night but was told its better to arrive early in the morning so got my flights changed, landed 9.45am and into a taxi by 10.20am, smooth sailing from airport to chai wan through western tunnel, 40 min journey.

FECK should have just flown back last night, instead of waking up 3.30am to get a 6.15am flight back. Now Im super knackered.

And now that chuckster is back home, someone can safely start a new thread when there is news about the protests.

chuckster007 and spode like this.