Like Tree22Likes

Cross Harbour Tunnel Reopens on 27th @ 5AM

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cross Harbour Tunnel Reopens on 27th @ 5AM

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...nel-free-while

The HK SAR governments solution to solve the congested CHT when it re-opens is to make it free. Un-able to find a toll booth kiosk (approx US2000 and off the shelf) there was no other alternative.

You can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...nel-free-while

The HK SAR governments solution to solve the congested CHT when it re-opens is to make it free. Un-able to find a toll booth kiosk (approx US2000 and off the shelf) there was no other alternative.

You can't make this stuff up.
    Or simply making the bloody thing bus-only while they fix the toll booths up!
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Or simply making the bloody thing bus-only while they fix the toll booths up!
    One lane at peak times would of been nice for a while. Oh well it will be rammed and journet times will be longer for majority of users but the government will pat itself on the back and say they have given the needy a few extra dollars. No wonder this city is revolting

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    One lane at peak times would of been nice for a while. Oh well it will be rammed and journet times will be longer for majority of users but the government will pat itself on the back and say they have given the needy a few extra dollars. No wonder this city is revolting
    Sometimes you just can't make these stuff up. I feel like I am living in some parody or satire land when the government goes out of it's way to be incompetent. It would indeed be funny if it weren't so very real.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 21-11-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Interesting contrast with the MTR where the fare collecting mechanisms were vandalised...

HK_Katherine likes this.

Just reopen and make the tunnel free and compensate the CHT company. Tolls can reintroduced in 2020.

hongkong7, TheBrit and gardabble like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Just reopen and make the tunnel free and compensate the CHT company. Tolls can reintroduced in 2020.
    CHT is government operated. Unless... you’re talking about the transfer of wealth between different government departments?

In the Philippines when it gets busy they just have people standing in the road collecting tolls. No booth required when traffic is barely moving... as it will be if the tunnel is free. I wonder if bus fares will go down????!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    CHT is government operated. Unless... you’re talking about the transfer of wealth between different government departments?
    Oops.. Yes. Still catching up on the expiration of the operating agreement

I'd quite look forward to the CHT being free, everyone will try to go there and I can go through the Eastern with no queues

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast