Like Tree100Likes

DC elections - you and your constituency

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

DC elections - you and your constituency

I suppose many of us voted for candidates based on their political affiliation rather than local policy.

What do you want your local district councillor to achieve in your constituency in the next 4 years?

Bring back the rubbish bins, preferably the boar-proof ones developed locally! Win win...

The larger govt cannot be trusted blindly - the DC has to lead the way in monitoring, petitioning / promoting appropriate views of the community. So, the larger and more important hope is that the current bunch don't forget what they were elected for and get into an aspirational Legco mode.

Two projects that need serious monitoring in our area:

- Wah Fu estate relocation
    - Cyberport new building

They affect multiple councillors or sub-districts. If they're on the same page common issues which affect the district and not just an isolated councillor's constituency can hopefully be dealt with cohesively.

So ...

- Unity within the council
    - Focus on issues within the community and plan / organise across wider areas
    - Put aside personal aspirations for Legco

MatthieuTofu likes this.

The cost of 1400+ pro-Beijing votes:

Yeah, we already get whatever we ask for- including the building of an opera theatre every year, some culture grant I think.

Just waiting on the indoor pool and covered bicycle parking...

Big things here are better drainage/ flood mitigation for low-lying villages and solving the twice daily Harrow-created traffic jams. For people on Castle Peak Road, illegal road races are also problematic - they've been racing the big motorbikes as late/ early as 6am.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Big things here are better drainage/ flood mitigation for low-lying villages and solving the twice daily Harrow-created traffic jams. For people on Castle Peak Road, illegal road races are also problematic - they've been racing the big motorbikes as late/ early as 6am.
    I love road racing, I got a bike here in Taiwan but I might rent one next time I fly over to HK. Where on castle peak road is this spot?

The pro-democrats, some of them at least, are going to have a steep learning curve on district affairs. They better learn and adapt quickly, otherwise, they may be toss out in the next election...

deal with the unemployment, countless ex-DAB councilors, and their all their assistants need a job

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The pro-democrats, some of them at least, are going to have a steep learning curve on district affairs. They better learn and adapt quickly, otherwise, they may be toss out in the next election...
    This is a concern for me - the government is obviously going to do everything they can to stop all these new counselors accomplishing anything meaningful by restricting/obstructing funding wherever possible. Then the message will be that the pan-democrats are incompetent and only the DAB can get things done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    This is a concern for me - the government is obviously going to do everything they can to stop all these new counselors accomplishing anything meaningful by restricting/obstructing funding wherever possible. Then the message will be that the pan-democrats are incompetent and only the DAB can get things done.
    Then the pro-democrats will have to show the government is the problem. That they are the ones obstructing. You are right, it's gonna be a tough job. They won so many seats, but it doesn't change the fact that the power still rest with the government.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 26-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.

How much autonomy and influence do the district councils have over activities such as national day celebrations and government promotions (e.g belt and road ads) within their district?

What I remember at least in the islands district it seemed to be the islands district council who would put up paper chinese flags, etc. everywhere. Are we rid of this crap now, or will this kind of nonsense still continue ?

Paxbritannia and HK_Katherine like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast