Like Tree137Likes

What are the indirect benefits to Hong Kong for the protests?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

This thread is starting to sound a bit like "what are the advantages of finding out your significant other cheated on you"

Baklava and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Honestly, if we see any of these as benefits, I think the govt handing out free donuts might work well, instead of the corporate handouts declared last evening.

Any of these perceived benefits are dulled by the fact that we essentially have a non-functioning government with no hopes of them showing any vision as to where they intend to go in the next 5-10 years with the city's needs and the population's demands.

Sorry if this sounds cynical, but I'd rather take a chunk of mainlanders clustered around a rubbish bin smoking away while cars get ticketed at the country parks, over the current state of affairs.

As far as the railings are concerned - just wait and watch how our amazing leaders replace them. I'm sure its a top priority item, over the health, wealth and education of the population.
    Perhaps you're new to Hong Kong but there have been no significant policy changes in 20+ years that I am aware of.

Much fewer highly aligned posters on social forum blathering about how mass internment is a lovely education scheme or how white elephants are the best way to spend our savings.

Gatts and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hin23leung
    As at today, I only had ONE parking ticket for ~12months.
    Yes. Me too. The downside is that now there often isn't any roadside parking near my office (think triple parked lorries) so I'm 'forced' to use the car park!
    East_coast and hin23leung like this.

I was able to visit Ocean Park for the first time since I first set foot here in 2011. Pleasant day and in the morning we had the place almost to ourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Much fewer highly aligned posters on social forum blathering about how mass internment is a lovely education scheme or how white elephants are the best way to spend our savings.
    Oh yes, @civil_servant has really gone back under his bridge recently. He still ventures out from troll to troll but it's excellent that we see a lot less of him these days,
    CharSiuNow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Oh yes, @civil_servant has really gone back under his bridge recently. He still ventures out from troll to troll but it's excellent that we see a lot less of him these days,
    I think that it just became far too obvious to far too many people that he was some kind of weird pro-authoritarian apologist who couldn't really be taken seriously. I still remember when he tried to argue that drivers speeding their cars through pedestrian crossings was part of a "social contract" that they had with pedestrians.

Though tbf, this line was being approached even before the current political mess kicked off.

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow
    This thread is starting to sound a bit like "what are the advantages of finding out your significant other cheated on you"
    Reduced expenditure on fancy dinners and flowers?
    Last edited by jgl; Yesterday at 10:35 AM.

Not benefits for Hong Kong but:
    - Now a lot of focus on China's human rights abuses
    - More people / countries siding with Taiwan and rejecting the One China policy

CharSiuNow and hin23leung like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4