View Poll Results: Are you planning to leave?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am thinking about it

29 23.97%
  • I am actively planning it

27 22.31%
  • No. I want to stay in HK

35 28.93%
  • No. I have no plans

18 14.88%
  • Already Left

11 9.09%
  • Left and plan to come back

1 0.83%
Like Tree345Likes

Are you planning to leave?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by biffski:
    "Drive every time to buy things?" That statement is furthest frim the truth. Even in NYC, Amazon and Ebay have decimated traditional retailers. Mall shopping is dead, with few exceptions. My friends and family back home use cars for daily essentials if at all, work, and to travel. Forgot shopping. Same day deliveries for almost everything are available in most metropolitan areas.
    True, malls have decline a lot in recent years as online retailers eat into their revenue. Traditional brick-and-mortar malls can't compete on price and product choice against the online rivals. And traditional anchor store/big brands like Sears, Forever 21, Barneys, Toy R Us, Diesel, etc, have gone bankrupt. But I think people still go to malls in the US, at least that was the case when I was in San Jose last year, Valley Fair was still jam-packed with people. The malls that still thrive (or at least still cling to existence) have gone up-market or incoporate other forms of attraction (ie. theme park rides) to give people a reason to go there. But my main point was that the low density suburban style living in many places in the US means you need a car to get to a lot of places anyway, not so in HK.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 26-12-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sv336:
    in public transp that much, may be 1 time (!). I have my contract date after which I'll likely be repatriated back to the US of A. Enjoying the adventure that comes my way in my own ways but not actively looking for more. In terms of the US politics, the majority (including me) doesn't really care what the guy says. He hasn't pushed for a law prohibiting Muslim immigration (unlike the guy in India did), so he's pretty tolerable to me in terms of his alleged racism. Focus on the economy and breaking bad habits like investing in China - makes me happy.
    And it's totally ok if you want to stay in the bubble and look forward to going back to the US. That's perfectly fine. Not everyone is the same. Some people prefer to stay in their comfort zone. Other people prefer new and different experiences. Just so you know (and I am not being harsh or condescending here), HK is not limited to the north shore of HK Island and Kowloon. There are a few places to explore and visit in this city beyond the core urban area. It is possible to get out of the bubble and have good experience as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    And it's totally ok if you want to stay in the bubble and look forward to going back to the US. That's perfectly fine. Not everyone is the same. Some people prefer to stay in their comfort zone. Other people prefer new and different experiences. Just so you know (and I am not being harsh or condescending here), HK is not limited to the north shore of HK Island and Kowloon. There are a few places to explore and visit in this city beyond the core urban area. It is possible to get out of the bubble and have good experience as a result.
    After awhile, all hikes started to blend in together: similar nature, similar views, similar wind, heat, smog, etc. Switched to stadium-based activities - saves time traveling to and from hikes. Cultural events are plenty but they dried up considerably with the protests. Super busy at work and getting tired from travel. No matter where I am based in - my computer screen looks exactly the same. In the US at least, there were seasons. After a few years here, I don't remember anymore what was I doing N months ago - because N months ago there was the same season as N+M or N-M. Nothing to clip the memories to, season-wise. Not that I'm complaining, just noticing things.

After awhile, all hikes started to blend in together: similar nature, similar views, similar wind, heat, smog, etc. Switched to stadium-based activities - saves time traveling to and from hikes. Cultural events are plenty but they dried up considerably with the protests. Super busy at work and getting tired from travel. No matter where I am based in - my computer screen looks exactly the same. In the US at least, there were seasons. After a few years here, I don't remember anymore what was I doing N months ago - because N months ago there was the same season as N+M or N-M. Nothing to clip the memories to, season-wise. Not that I'm complaining, just noticing things.
    All hikes are similiar? Well, that's a matter of personal opinion I guess, I know hikes in Sai Kung is different from those on HK Island and Lantau. And you don't have to stick to hiking. There are lots of other stuff to do. No change in seasons? Not so, right now it is cooler and drier than the summer, which in my personal view is the worst time of year in HK, oppressively and unbearably humid and hot. 80% of the precipitation in HK falls between May and September after all, never mind the occasional typhoons that would disrupt your schedule. Unless one is a lazy bastard looking for a day off with a T8.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

domestic help?that's what is keeping them here? bloody disgrace to humanity these over-paid so-called expats. Being a man who grew up in patriarchal society I almost single-handedly raised my kid from year 1 to 4 with utmost dedication and care and continue giving my heart out, both physically and metaphorically, to the second one who was born couple of months ago. And these bloody privileged white douchebags (my good friends )label me hostile and arrogant when i tell them off for their pseudo-masculinity and lack of family commitments,

Anyways, having permanent residency/citizenship of new zealand, australia (obtained this month), India and HK (due in a few months) , we'll be making a move to adelaide mid next year to try and give my elder kid an opportunity that is going to stimulate his creativity. We did apply for local DSS, but it's not really a competition when you got about 6000 kids competing for 80 odd seats and most of which are already allotted to siblings of those already studying there etc.

It's all good folks, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Skyhook and kimwy66 like this.

In terms of the US politics, the majority (including me) doesn't really care what the guy says. He hasn't pushed for a law prohibiting Muslim immigration (unlike the guy in India did), so he's pretty tolerable to me in terms of his alleged racism.
    On your Muslim immigration ban by “the guy in India”, hope you’re aware of the background and not just the propaganda in media. The “immigration” bill is to give asylum/citizenship to Hindus, Christians, Sikhs, and Jains living in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh who wish to come to India. All these three countries are Muslim majority, with a very minute percentage of people from those other religions seeking asylum/citizenship in India. This is not new, has been going on for decades, albeit with bureaucracy and frustrations for those people. The total number is less than a million.

Indian constitution does not discriminate on religion (and other things), but you have to be flexible for exceptional cases like these (is there any other country stepping up to help them?). As for the Muslims being persecuted in their own Muslim majority nations, that’s tough but India cannot be the escape route. It has its own social/economic/political problems, and it is the government’s responsibility to serve the 1.3 billion plus population (including over 200 million Muslims). Petro-dollar rich Muslim countries should take up the responsibility for accommodating Muslims persecuted in other countries instead of donating funds to build mosques in EU and north American countries (or chopping dissident in their own consulates with global impunity).

The ongoing protests in India against the “immigration” bill is:

1. In northeastern states bordering Bangladesh, where people are not against the bill. They just don’t want the “immigrants” to be settled in their states as those states have preferential treatment under the constitution.
    2. The rest of the protesters have not yet provided a single basis for how less than a million non-Muslim migration will result in Muslims losing their Indian citizenship, while going around vandalizing property and businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket:
    On your Muslim immigration ban by “the guy in India”, hope you’re aware of the background and not just the propaganda in media. The “immigration” bill is to give asylum/citizenship to Hindus, Christians, Sikhs, and Jains living in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh who wish to come to India.

I appreciate your detailed explanation and yes, I have a very remote idea regarding the current Indian protests. As an argument, though, I'd say that including religious definitions into any government bill is a very touchy subject. And it's exactly the subject Trump has been tried on, so the formula was changed from "don't let Muslims in" to "don't let those in who we can't reasonably check". The fact that the two groups may overlap 100% doesn't bother me - just statistics. But any formula singling a religious group out would be a serious concern for me as a US voter. With all my concern about issues for non-Muslims in Muslim countries, the spirit of asylum is to determine dangers to individual people based on what groups they belong to, not to groups in bulk. Wait a minute - US was taking in Jews per some law. Yes, but the law wasn't about Jews vs. other religions. Just think about it: if the law would say "we FORBID taking Christians from Eastern Europe, we'd only take Jews". Would sound ridiculous - and that is how the Indian law sounds to me. Sorry
    shri likes this.

I raise here, never had such a strong will to leave. It means never had such worse scenario I had experienced

JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by teddylam:
    I raise here, never had such a strong will to leave. It means never had such worse scenario I had experienced
    Well whether you support law and order or justice and democracy, reach out to reasonable people on the other side and see what can be done. Speaking only to people who agree with you won’t bring us any closer to a solution. The government has clearly demonstrated that, whatever your political views.

Basically the rest of us are left to confront the results of the government’s failure. We have to live with the results and shrug, or somehow bypass their ineffective and unconvincing bleating. Maybe civil society and the district councils bloom as a result.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast