View Poll Results: Are you planning to leave?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am thinking about it

29 23.97%
  • I am actively planning it

27 22.31%
  • No. I want to stay in HK

35 28.93%
  • No. I have no plans

18 14.88%
  • Already Left

11 9.09%
  • Left and plan to come back

1 0.83%
Like Tree345Likes

Are you planning to leave?

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Most countries issue them, I think. Usually the second one has a shorter life span 5 or 7 years. Pretty convenient for people who travel a lot and always have one passport at an embassy to get a visa
    Good to know. I never had a spare passport.

I think you can only get an additional passport if you are a frequent business traveler or have other valid reasons, that's how some countries handle it. You and I probably can't

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Germany + APEC card
    APEC card = Arschkarte

Amazing it's true for Australia too :never even imagined such a thing :just Googled it : you can hold concurrent passports if visa delays would cause significant travel delays : or evidence of travel to certain countries prevents travel to other countries : I wonder if anyone has done this and how that rule is applied in first scenario . Seems like it needs strong employer support so for top business execs not daily mainland travel grunts like me: pity

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    Amazing it's true for Australia too :never even imagined such a thing :just Googled it : you can hold concurrent passports if visa delays would cause significant travel delays : or evidence of travel to certain countries prevents travel to other countries : I wonder if anyone has done this and how that rule is applied in first scenario . Seems like it needs strong employer support so for top business execs not daily mainland travel grunts like me: pity
    What's with all the colons? Is your comma key broken? Makes for a hard to read post.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I think you can only get an additional passport if you are a frequent business traveler or have other valid reasons, that's how some countries handle it. You and I probably can't
    Wonder if that's the case for Huawei's daughter as she has three HKSAR passport
    hongkong7 and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    HK passport ranks much higher than all S. Asian countries, whether that translates into better job opportunities is another matter but it would give you greater visa/hassle free freedom of movement:

https://www.passportindex.org/byIndi...Rank.php?f=asi
    Thanks for your response, actually i was wondering what would be the ideal alternate for HK with HKSAR passport, where i can consider relocating and my experience and education in HK (business and engineering degrees) are equally respected and the market is more preferable. I am considering UAE but not sure if with HKSAR passport Singapore or malaysia can be better options. I have never lived and worked in EU but would love to consider relocating if there is a good option there.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Correct, my partner has two passports because he travels frequently for work to places that require visas, he can't leave his passport with a consulate for a week or two because it will inhibit his ability to travel elsewhere.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyguy:
    Thanks for your response, actually i was wondering what would be the ideal alternate for HK with HKSAR passport, where i can consider relocating and my experience and education in HK (business and engineering degrees) are equally respected and the market is more preferable. I am considering UAE but not sure if with HKSAR passport Singapore or malaysia can be better options. I have never lived and worked in EU but would love to consider relocating if there is a good option there.
    Am HKSAR passport does not give you any options for residency. All you get from the HKSAR passport is visa free travel (not employment or residency). Works for mobile entrepreneurs.. Not for employment - you would still need to get employment visa for what ever country you wish to work in.
    Busyguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyguy:
    SG or Malaysia could be good alternatives for tech sector in this part of Asia. Other countries in SE Asia are rapidly picking up on e-commerce, data analytics and technology in general (Vietnam, Philippines etc.), so being in SG/MY could be a good base for you to cover these markets as well.

Mid-east - Different work/social setup which may not suit if you've lived long enough in HK. Mid-east is super expensive so the idea of saving more money there is unrealistic. There's not much from career growth perspective once you're there.

EU - High taxation and cost of living. With Brexit, getting employment visa might get tougher in the EU now as protectionism will kick in.

In any case, employment visa/sponsorship would be required (for any passport holder).
    Busyguy likes this.