View Poll Results: Are you planning to leave?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am thinking about it

30 24.00%
  • I am actively planning it

27 21.60%
  • No. I want to stay in HK

34 27.20%
  • No. I have no plans

20 16.00%
  • Already Left

13 10.40%
  • Left and plan to come back

1 0.80%
Like Tree345Likes

Are you planning to leave?

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18

The foreign couple, holding British Passport, living in serviced apartment, found with cocaine and left suicide not citing protests as reason, something doesn't add up or at least in my mind..

Police probe suspected suicides | The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    The suicide rate was already pretty high statistically for a city of 7.5 million prior to the protests. Now the protests might have made it worse. Given that it is a taboo subject in HK, no one likes to talk about it, but it needs to be ask why the suicide rate is so high in the city.
    I'm not so sure it is higher than many places. Its a difficult subject to analyse quickly but London was 10.1 in 2017 and rose by 10% in 2018!!! However it is around the lowest since 1981. Overall in US is 14.5. New York is low at 8.4.

Disclaimer - very quick look on the internet!

Interesting peak in HK in 2003 - SARs???
    Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 16-01-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    I'm not so sure it is higher than many places. Its a difficult subject to analyse quickly but London was 10.1 in 2017 and rose by 10% in 2018!!! However it is around the lowest since 1981. Overall in US is 14.5. New York is low at 8.4.

Interesting peak in HK in 2003 - SARs???

https://csrp.hku.hk/statistics/
    Ok, fair enough, but any sucide is one too many for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    I am very very suspicious about all these, yes there are chances they were arrested and waiting to be prosecuted for protest related some serious crime but other than that can't find protests to be a reason especially when things are almost getting back to normal.. Also, the way police have been acting like most efficient intel agency in the world finding sophisticated bombs and what not without any single of those devices actually being used on the street!!! Anything is possible, if you know what i mean!!
    What do your consider ‘normal’ to be? A total police state with an ever widening wealth gap where the tycoons get richer, university graduates can’t find jobs that would pay the rent for a small flat and cage homes?I found myself at the verge of depression in November, luckily I got help.
    I believe things will get much worse, particularly looking at the upcoming LEGCO elections, I expect a crackdown to get the results desired up North.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    The foreign couple, holding British Passport, living in serviced apartment, found with cocaine and left suicide not citing protests as reason, something doesn't add up or at least in my mind..

Police probe suspected suicides | The Standard
    I suspect they had some pre-existing issues before the protests. You know, cocaine is a dead give away.

Quote Originally Posted by eIIe
    What do your consider ‘normal’ to be? A total police state with an ever widening wealth gap where the tycoons get richer, university graduates can’t find jobs that would pay the rent for a small flat and cage homes?I found myself at the verge of depression in November, luckily I got help.
    I believe things will get much worse, particularly looking at the upcoming LEGCO elections, I expect a crackdown to get the results desired up North.
    I understand how you and many others including me feel on those issues, but you are channeling something else while we are speculating on immediate reason of suicide, i simply meant overall protests and its intensity are receding, other than life is shit everywhere for some or the other reason..

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul
    Dont let it come to this...surely other options are available

"The notes, one in Chinese and one in English, made reference to the pair’s sadness at the ongoing anti-government protests, and their opposition to the now-withdrawn extradition bill. The woman also held a Hong Kong ID card."

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...cale-hong-kong
    Very saddening that people despair of any positive changes taking place. Unless they had financial or other troubles, improving HK’s economics wouldn’t seem to have helped their feelings. Curious to know more.

Without wanting to pour more fuel on the fire on the various conspiracy theories, I do think it’s a fair observation that the line “not been arrested for the protests” may not mean so much when they have accessed willy-nilly the contents of thousands of phones and their contacts may have been exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0
    Very saddening that people despair of any positive changes taking place. Unless they had financial or other troubles, improving HK’s economics wouldn’t seem to have helped their feelings. Curious to know more.
    This is interesting, I have read studies that shows financial well-being do not always have a clear correlation with personal state of happiness. Now in some cases it does have a clear link, but in other cases it does not indicate one. I have seen people who are otherwise successful financially, with a decent home in the Mid-levels, a nice car and so on, yet seem depressed. And there are much less well-off working class people like Filipino maids who are always cheerful and happy.

Cultural upbringing, susceptibility to mental problems, values and beliefs that a person holds and so on I assume would also impact his state of happiness or depression.
    Pauljoecoe and RMDNC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    This is interesting, I have read studies that shows financial well-being do not always have a clear correlation with personal state of happiness. Now in some cases it does have a clear link, but in other cases it does not indicate one. I have seen people who are otherwise successful financially, with a decent home in the Mid-levels, a nice car and so on, yet seem depressed. And there are much less well-off working class people like Filipino maids who are always cheerful and happy.

Cultural upbringing, susceptibility to mental problems, values and beliefs that a person holds and so on I assume would also impact his state of happiness or depression.
    Yes, I was peripherally aware of what you mentioned, but brought it up more to contrast the government’s approach being to address “livelihood issues”. Apologies if my thrust wasn’t clear.

As the original link-poster said though, one should try not to be driven to extremes. While their strong feelings of compassion for society at large were laudable, surely they had better alternatives.

Baumeister may also be of interest to those who like to reflect on the topic of life and happiness.
    https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/faculty...eaningful-life
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0
    Yes, I was peripherally aware of what you mentioned, but brought it up more to contrast the government’s approach being to address “livelihood issues”. Apologies if my thrust wasn’t clear.

As the original link-poster said though, one should try not to be driven to extremes. While their strong feelings of compassion for society at large were laudable, surely they had better alternatives.

Baumeister may also be of interest to those who like to reflect on the topic of life and happiness.
    https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/faculty...eaningful-life
    In many cases of suicides, there is often not just one reason for their action, but a combination of causes that resulted in their choce to end their lives. The protests, if it is a factor at all, may not be the main cause in many of these sucides, even if they cite that as the reason to end their lives.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18