Like Tree840Likes

2020 - "Wuhan Flu" in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast
    https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/01/ar...nimals-expert/

"As most Wuhan patients had connections with the Huanan Seafood Market, there was a high chance the unknown coronavirus was transmitted to wild animals from bats and became mutated before it spread to humans"

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    Heard people saying WARS today.
    You're confusing Donald Trump.

It is the habit of Chinese consumption of "野味" ( game animals) that is again the cause of the outbreak. By game animals, we are not talking about the typical pig, cow, goose or lamb, those common domesticated animals seldom come in contact with bats and are not the likely to be intermediary host for this new type SARS. Instead we are talking about wild animals like civets, weasels and so forth, ones that are wild caught. The unsanitary conditions that these animals are kept in and the lack of care or sheer ignorance in regulating these wet markets are contributing to repeat outbreaks of unknown infections.

The mainland as a start really needs to regulate these wet markets better and educate the workers there to ensure basic workplace hygiene. More importantly, they should consider the desirablility of maintaining this habit of eating wild exotic animals, since the mainland authorities have shown a repeated inability to regulate and manage these wet markets, perhaps the better long-term solution should be stopping the consumption of these wild animals altogether. And since they are the CCP, they can do this if they really care about the health of its people. The fact they haven't shows how much the common people's health really matters to them.

junichitsuyo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by junichitsuyo:
    https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/01/ar...nimals-expert/

"As most Wuhan patients had connections with the Huanan Seafood Market, there was a high chance the unknown coronavirus was transmitted to wild animals from bats and became mutated before it spread to humans"

So sad to see some people just take advantage of the crisis
    welcome to HK

An RTHK reporter who visited a pharmacy in Mong Kok found one box of 50 face masks, which used to cost HK$50, cost HK$98 yesterday.

https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/hongkongers-panic-buy-surgical-masks-amid-wuhan-virus-fears/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    So sad to see some people just take advantage of the crisis
    welcome to HK

https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/hongkongers-panic-buy-surgical-masks-amid-wuhan-virus-fears/
    Those who best exploit opportunities rise to the top in Hong Kong. Any surprise it's shoeshiners and careerists in charge and Hong Kong is in crisis? In fact comparatively probably less of a concern in the open market where you have more of a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    It is the habit of Chinese consumption of "野味" ( game animals) that is again the cause of the outbreak. By game animals, we are not talking about the typical pig, cow, goose or lamb, those common domesticated animals seldom come in contact with bats and are not the likely to be intermediary host for this new type SARS. Instead we are talking about wild animals like civets, weasels and so forth, ones that are wild caught.
    Again I am struck by the breadth of your general knowledge and how it bridges such diverse areas of expertise... out of curiosity, what field are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Again I am struck by the breadth of your general knowledge and how it bridges such diverse areas of expertise... out of curiosity, what field are you in?
    Well on this topic, I was in HK when SARS broke out in the city. I wanted to leave HK then, but at the time I just moved to the city for not very long so I decided to persevere to ride out the outbreak. And I remember SARS was traced to consumption of game animals like civets. And I am also somewhat of a newsjunkie and I enjoy reading broadly on different topics when time allows.
    CharSiuNow and junichitsuyo like this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast