Like Tree735Likes

Jan 2020 - Protest News and Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hoista
    I've started to read less news/info about it because I just cant trust anyone to report factually.
    This seems a quite counter-productive thought. If you feel you can't trust anyone (which to me seems like a great starting point), shouldn't you read MORE news from more sources, so you can get a better feel and understanding for who is twisting what truth?
    Coolboy, MatthieuTofu and a voice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow
    This seems a quite counter-productive thought. If you feel you can't trust anyone (which to me seems like a great starting point), shouldn't you read MORE news from more sources, so you can get a better feel and understanding for who is twisting what truth?
    Agree, with the caveat that not everyone is able and willing to spend the necessary time to do so. I sometimes wonder if I have the ability even if I were willing to do so myself. Much easier to identify reasonable observers to do a summation for you, but that in itself is already a significant task in an environment with a trust deficit (and polarised views).

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    You should watch Now News or iCable (it's canto though) it's the most neutral news you can get on TV. The only competition though, TVB, is on a whole other level .

I'm guessing it's getting more and more 'biased' in your view because reporting facts does trigger a response from anyone watching TV news or social media. For example, depending on your view, the headline "Police shoot unarmed protester" will either seem anti-government to you (emphasis on the "unarmed") or balanced (if you're looking at it objectively) or pro-Govt if you're happy that the protester got shot.
    That section of the public that thinks of protesters as cockroach rioters would likely not be watching Now TV because they are more likely to default to their social media feeds or the free-to-air TVB. I don't think they would be satisfied with the coverage simply because they would not have seen it in the first place. Only those looking for facts or neutral coverage would have sought it out to start.
    Coolboy and Gatts like this.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...7-20200108.htm

During mitigation, Choi told the court that he was contacted by a police officer after the crime and that he had intended to surrender, but the officer dissuaded him.

But the prosecution said the department had never contacted the defendant. They also said Choi had not provided relevant any proof of this claim, such as an officer's number or unit details. The defence then withdrew Choi's claim.
    Sadly these days claims like that seem pretty believable.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

I know this sounds like a joke but, any thoughts about this?
    https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...nite-hong-kong

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    I know this sounds like a joke but, any thoughts about this?
    https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...nite-hong-kong
    Yeah I heard this conspiracy theory before, although without any kind of supporting evidence beyond mere speculation, it's hard to give it any weight. I mean, it's true, she was trained as a social worker at HKU and once was on good terms with some pro-democrats. In fact, as a HKU student, she took part in some rallies for social justice. So yes, she probably once had liberal ideals in her youth. But that was 40+ years ago. People change, times change. Especially those who have power, that changes people. As they say, power corrupts people.

She was no doubt a good administrator in the civil service to have risen so far up, but being a good administrator does not necessarily equate to being a good leader. She could organize policies and carry out directives from above, but as for actually making policies and understanding political consequences, that seems more dubious, given the extradition bill mess. Yes, she was probably an expert in bureaucratic politics and power struggles in the civil service, she would not have made it so far up without those "skills". But that is quite different to being a political leader and understanding what the masses want.

I just find it hard to imagine she could have set up such an elaborate conspiracy and execute it like this. In the end, she was trained to follow and apply orders from above, but actually setting up such complicated political games seem beyond her capability.

(Of course, I suppose one cannot entirely discount this political conspiracy, it is possible that she harbour such intentions, but without any real evidence, no one can really know.)

Any idea whats happening this weekend? Can someone translate this please

Name:  Screenshot_20200109-111420.png
Views: 471
Size:  793.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rani
    Any idea whats happening this weekend? Can someone translate this please

Didn't read it properly, but have a look to see whether it corresponds with what was posted on the protest schedule - I think it was rebuilding Lennon Walls at Admiralty, and then other districts later.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hkwuliff/...65831176876037
    Last edited by AsianXpat0; 09-01-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Realised the English version was seen elsewhere
    Coolboy, rani and MatthieuTofu like this.

Just got this for Sunday

Name:  Screenshot_20200109-112944.png
Views: 236
Size:  1.17 MB

AsianXpat0 and MatthieuTofu like this.

I find it interesting that of all the SCMP columnists, it is Michael Chugani, a pretty staunch pro-establishment figure prior to the protests, has transformed into a fierce critic of the HK government and Lam. Has Chugani simply woke up after he stopped drinking the Kool Aid from the government? Is this even his real stance, as he may simply be doing this to offer some counter argument variety on the paper, I don't know.

Whatever the case may be, here he criticized the new Liasion office top man as a hardliner who knows nothing about HK. Personally, I think it is a little early to know what this new guy is thinking to jump to the conclusion he is a hardliner, but Chugani's observation of Lam having lost her mind is quite apt:

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3045134/carrie-lam-no-longer-hong-kongs-real-boss-thats-less-worrying-man

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast