Like Tree735Likes

Jan 2020 - Protest News and Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Oh and my unscientific estimate is that the crowd was larger than the December crowd. I got off the bus at the Causeway Bay Typhoon shelter and into Victoria park but then went back roads to meet up at Sogo with the march. Park and roads were packed, definitely a good turn out. Some may have turned back after the scuffle and pepper spray at Southorn playground because it was thinner after that incident.
    I agree, the turnout seemed to me too quite impressive, despite what others noted hours ago (Maybe after last nights’s protests/parties people joined a bit later than usual?)

I didn’t have internet connection all afternoon during the rally so I’ll post something now...

Victoria Park at 3pm

CWB around 4.30

Back to CWB after 6pm, even more

people now, no room to move

Last edited by Baklava; 01-01-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Going back to the old and proven ways of firing tear gas at hecklers (because it totally works)
    https://twitter.com/HongKongFP/statu...41859428663296

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    I agree, the turnout seemed to me too quite impressive, despite what others noted hours ago (Maybe after last nights’s protests/parties people joined a bit later than usual?)

I didn’t have internet connection all afternoon during the rally so I’ll post something now...

Victoria Park at 3pm

CWB around 4.30

https://twitter.com/weconnect...98500379033601

Somebody (not this tweet, only included for the pictures) suggested it rivaled the first June march and was more than the December march, which feels about right. Obviously it didn’t go on long enough, but entirely possible it would have approached the unofficial August march. All moot now thanks to the “timely” intervention. The new police commissioner certainly earning his stripes.

If peaceful protests can’t effect change, and now can’t even be held, it doesn’t take a lot of imagination what comes next. Too cynical too often.
    Last edited by AsianXpat0; 01-01-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Inserted clarifiction, not translation

Mass arrests in several places in Causeway Bay...since everyone is now guilty of "unlawful assembly" - huge crowd outside Citibank being forced to sit there with their hands on their heads, guess the police forgot their flex cuffs...

MatthieuTofu, rs4 and Mrs. Jones like this.

This was the scene at HSBC in Wan Chai before the tear gas- this is the pepper spray part (there was lots more, I saw one woman whose hair was wet with spray). Then came the rubber bullets and, sometime after, the tear gas...

https://twitter.com/HKer9000/status/1212294686699708416

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Mass arrests in several places in Causeway Bay...since everyone is now guilty of "unlawful assembly" - huge crowd outside Citibank being forced to sit there with their hands on their heads, guess the police forgot their flex cuffs...
    Name:  IMG-20200101-WA0040.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  165.8 KB

Victoria Park at 3pm

CWB around 4.30

Yes, people joined later- I joined later than usual as I went with two other people who wanted to start a bit later- also, I thought it started at 2, not 3. We probably got to SOGO by 3:45 but avoided most of the larger crowd in the park as it was moving too slowly- I didn't know that the count would happen there or I might have waited. Tons of people were getting off the buses near the park (at the typhoon shelter). And it could have ended, peacefully, like December but you can pretty much figure that EVERY march from now on, even with LONO, will end early.

(another late post, sorry for that)
    After what happened in Wan Chai, the rally stopped and , as usual, people quickly formed a line to pass gear up to the frontline. It went on for one hour, passing hundreds of umbrellas. Then eye drops and water bottles...
    My daughter was helping too. When they passed her a brick we thought it was time to head back to the mtr.

During all that time, protesters in full gear passed along the line, headed towards the frontline, greeted by general applause. So many of them. Again, it went on for an hour. Quite impressive to witness that. The woman next to us was screaming “Be safe!” to all. she was crying, genuinely worried for them.

(another late post, sorry for that)
    After what happened in Wan Chai, the rally stopped and , as usual, people quickly formed a line to pass gear up to the frontline. It went on for one hour, passing hundreds of umbrellas. Then eye drops and water bottles...
    My daughter was helping too. When they passed her a brick we thought it was time to head back to the mtr.

During all that time, protesters in full gear passed along the line, headed towards the frontline, greeted by general applause. So many of them. Again, it went on for an hour. Quite impressive to witness that. The woman next to us was screaming “Be safe!” to all. she was crying, genuinely worried for them.

Good job participating, and thanks for the photos!
    Baklava, rs4, Mrs. Jones and 1 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast