• 4 Post By Plutark
  • 3 Post By rs4
  • 2 Post By Hoista

MTR buys more Chinese trains

Closed Thread

MTR buys more Chinese trains

https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...9B%9E%E6%94%B6

A quick summary by a local railway forum via Google Translate
    MTR responded to the increase in vehicle purchases, stating that they intend to purchase new cars to replace the existing Tung Chung Line and Airport Express trains, but did not respond to independent tenders, but instead increased their purchases with the CRRC four years ago.
    Red economic circle running at full steam.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...9B%9E%E6%94%B6

A quick summary by a local railway forum via Google Translate

Red economic circle running at full steam.
    damn, the Tung Chung line as well. How long before it crashes or break down?

I feel already so much safer now

Should ask boeing to manufacture trains and it would be a perfect match

The tech should be fine, since it's mostly "transferred" from European and Japanese rail companies when they first built the modern rail system in China. As part of the 'JV's technology transfer was part of the deal. It's why the latest version of the Japanese bullet trains are not in China. Japanese companies decided against transferring knowledge to a competitor.

Coolboy and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoista:
    The tech should be fine, since it's mostly "transferred" from European and Japanese rail companies when they first built the modern rail system in China. As part of the 'JV's technology transfer was part of the deal. It's why the latest version of the Japanese bullet trains are not in China. Japanese companies decided against transferring knowledge to a competitor.
    The first generation of Chinese made trains delivered back in 2013 and run on the Kwun Tong Line used to routinely overshoot platforms... Hand grabs would also fall off but that's accessory in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    damn, the Tung Chung line as well. How long before it crashes or break down?
    not often, HK has world class train service, one of the best in the world, if you want misery and unefficiency on your train commute, go on UK's train network, which is expensive and it ain't that great, i went on cross city train service a few times in Birmingham, it's ok, but it's lacking a lot of conveniences such as single digit minutes waiting time, toilets on the stations (yes, i was dying for a piss after drinks with mate and caught the train, i was dying for a piss, shock horror no station had toilets except main one Birmingham new street and that was 25 min journey), i hear frpm my cousin in NY, their underground is even worse than UK and HK is one of the nicest train network in the world, regardless of the trains, whether it's made in Birmingham (metro cammell on east rail), japan (mitsubishi on east, west and ma on shan rail), china or Korea (hyundai)

Why exactly does the Tung Chung line need new trains? They seem fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    Why exactly does the Tung Chung line need new trains? They seem fine to me.
    Possibly to standardise train types on the network instead of later refurbishing the current trains on the line...