Like Tree229Likes

Ocean Park seeks HKD$10 Billion Govt. Bailout

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I just bought an annual pass because they had 35% off, might as well bail em out so I can enjoy it. It's not like the government would use the money for something better anyway.
    This is sad, but true. These days it's more a question of "what's the least bad way the government can waste vast amounts of money or social capital."
    MABinPengChau and AsianXpat0 like this.

Interestingly, the cause for Ocean Park's underperformance is a bit more complicated than just the protests, as the article hinted, the Park was already in the red last year before the protests. I remember when Disneyland opened in 2005, people in HK wrote off Ocean Park as doomed to close, dismissing it as a third-rate SeaWorld or Six Flags and unable to compete with Disney. But Ocean Park did not shutter it's doors. Why? In one of the few wise choices he made as the CE, Tung hired Allan Zeman, the founder of Lan Kwai Fong, to run Ocean Park. Zeman hired experienced US theme park management staff and created Halloween Fest and other special events to lure people to the Park. And it worked. Ocean Park thrived under Zeman's management. Forbes called Zeman the "Mouse Killer", as reference to Disney's Mickey Mouse, of course.

However, Zeman backed Henry Tang, the rival candidate to CY Leung. And when CY Leung got his CE job, he retaliated by dismissing Zeman from Ocean Park (although Zeman still host the Halloween and other events at the Park). The Park did fine for a while without Zeman, but with new and less able management (and perhaps also increased bureaucratic interference from government), it began to decline steadily. So the problems with the park began before the protests.

Last edited by Coolboy; 08-01-2020 at 10:34 AM.

I felt a bit guilty taking my daughter to watch the dolphins perform. She enjoyed it but she shouldn’t be learning that animals are entertainment.
    The whole thing is tired and faded. Let it shut down and free the octopus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    I felt a bit guilty taking my daughter to watch the dolphins perform. She enjoyed it but she shouldn’t be learning that animals are entertainment.
    The whole thing is tired and faded. Let it shut down and free the octopus.
    The dolphin show is controversial from an animal rights standpoint, but other attractions at the Park is not bad. I don't think the Park should close just because of that one contentious element. They can end the show and place some new attractions at the vacated space instead. The Park overall does not have to close.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    $10B could do a lot of things, but those amounts usually get funneled into totally ridiculous infrastructure projects that actively make the place worse rather than better.

HK is very close to one dimensional as it is- concrete and shopping centres. If you get out into the parks, it's still concrete. Ocean Park and theme parks in general are not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate that at least it's not another bloody shopping centre or a bridge to nowhere.

Sure, you could say something like "build more hospitals" but that's just more concrete slab buildings that makes HK more of the same. And the government should be doing this regardless of subsidising a theme park.

It's easy to write off "the occasional ride on a rollercoaster" if you're, well, a relatively wealthy expat with huge amounts of travel experience. But I see Ocean Park as not really for the benefit of this tiny section of society.
    The HK One dimensional aspect, becomes quite distinctive, the moment you have, children.

The lack of shaded outdoor seeting, freely accessible, family friendly public amenities, is also something that sucks about HK. From a parents perspective it’s just a bit shiz and rarely relaxing with children.

I’m presently at Settlement Cove Lagoon in Redcliffe (25-30 mins unfussed drive from our property) as I type this post, watching my kids swim, while seated comfy in the shade with a cold drink. Such a contrast compared to our old HKG life.

Hkg cannot afford to lose Ocean Park, as it was hard enough to entertain children at the best of time, during school holidays..

just my 2cents...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 08-01-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    jgl, Andy SNK, pin and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    The HK One dimensional aspect, becomes quite distinctive, the moment you have, children.

The lack of shaded outdoor seeding, freely accessible public amenities, is also something that sucks about HK. From a parents perspective it’s just a bit whiz and rarely relaxing with sprockets.
    Yeah, the scary thing is that it's probably mainly people who didn't grow up here and travel widely who are even aware of this. People who live their whole lives here grow up thinking that life really is shopping centres, air conditioning, and the occasional 'adventure' by venturing onto a concrete footpath through an AFCD-run country park. I've learned the hard way that when someone invite someone who says they go 'hiking' I have to clarify whether they mean concrete foothpaths, because otherwise it can get bloody dangerous.

On the other hand, the thing that worries me about kids growing up in Oz is the relative lack of overseas travel. It's so easy from HK, compounded by there not being too much to do here. But for my friends back in Sydney, overseas trips are few and far between. Going to the coast is nice (when you're not trapped by raging bushfires), but also a bit samey after a while.

Finding a good balance is the challenge.
    imparanoic and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The dolphin show is controversial from an animal rights standpoint, but other attractions at the Park is not bad. I don't think the Park should close just because of that one contentious element. They can end the show and place some new attractions at the vacated space instead. The Park overall does not have to close.
    That one contentious element is animals suffering. I haven't been in 3 or 4 years, but the last time I went and walked into a viewing area to see an arctic fox curled up in a concrete box painted white to represent snow, I vowed never to go again. I guess some people are better at ignoring such things for the sake of a few minutes entertainment on a ride. Personally I have never had trouble entertaining my daughter in Hong Kong for free in the parks, Leisure Services facilities, skate board bowls etc.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    That one contentious element is animals suffering. I haven't been in 3 or 4 years, but the last time I went and walked into a viewing area to see an arctic fox curled up in a concrete box painted white to represent snow, I vowed never to go again. I guess some people are better at ignoring such things for the sake of a few minutes entertainment on a ride. Personally I have never had trouble entertaining my daughter in Hong Kong for free in the parks, Leisure Services facilities, skate board bowls etc.
    Sure, you are entitled to that view. But I think quite a few here do not want the park to close. As for the specific topic of animal exhibits, I believe the dolphins are the only animals that actually perform tricks at the park, the rest are more like zoo exhibits. On whether the animals are suffering, I will want to hesitate on judging that. Some animals are not suited to captivity (i.e. dolphins) but others are actually ok with it.

If you think animal welfare is bad in Ocean Park, i don't think it's that bad , you wanna to see the poor animals in Tai Tong Eco Park which is rather terrible, borderline squilid and definitely cramped for the animals, compare to excellent Kadoorie who do priotise animal welfare and they looks singificantly happier

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/artic...thorities-have

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    If you think animal welfare is bad in Ocean Park, i don't think it's that bad , you wanna to see the poor animals in Tai Tong Eco Park which is rather terrible, borderline squilid and definitely cramped for the animals, compare to excellent Kadoorie who do priotise animal welfare and they looks singificantly happier

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/artic...thorities-have
    Yup, apart from the dolphin show (which should close), other animals may not necessarily get such a raw deal at the Park.

As for having nothing to do in HK for kids, I think the bigger issue is that some HK parents are not willing to let kids "be kids", they are not allowed to have free time, all of it must be filled with tutoring and homework. The parents are often ignorant of nature and do not allow their kids to explore the outdoors. But there are things to do in HK for kids, kayaking, hiking, swimming, a variety of sports, Outward Bound and so on. Maybe the options available is not as great as in Australia and elsewhere, but if HK parents really want their kids to get out of the couch and stop watching TV, there are options available beyond more homework. The problem is many of them don't allow them that option.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 08-01-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast