Like Tree185Likes

Ocean Park seeks HKD$10 Billion Govt. Bailout

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

If you think animal welfare is bad in Ocean Park, i don't think it's that bad , you wanna to see the poor animals in Tai Tong Eco Park which is rather terrible, borderline squilid and definitely cramped for the animals, compare to excellent Kadoorie who do priotise animal welfare and they looks singificantly happier

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/artic...thorities-have

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    If you think animal welfare is bad in Ocean Park, i don't think it's that bad , you wanna to see the poor animals in Tai Tong Eco Park which is rather terrible, borderline squilid and definitely cramped for the animals, compare to excellent Kadoorie who do priotise animal welfare and they looks singificantly happier

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/artic...thorities-have
    Yup, apart from the dolphin show (which should close), other animals may not necessarily get such a raw deal at the Park.

As for having nothing to do in HK for kids, I think the bigger issue is that some HK parents are not willing to let kids "be kids", they are not allowed to have free time, all of it must be filled with tutoring and homework. The parents are often ignorant of nature and do not allow their kids to explore the outdoors. But there are things to do in HK for kids, kayaking, hiking, swimming, a variety of sports, Outward Bound and so on. Maybe the options available is not as great as in Australia and elsewhere, but if HK parents really want their kids to get out of the couch and stop watching TV, there are options available beyond more homework. The problem is many of them don't allow them that option.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 08-01-2020 at 12:14 PM.

I don’t want it to close. I just don’t want to subsidise it through my taxes. If that means that it closes then so be it.

coffee_break and TigerSun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Yup, apart from the dolphin show (which should close), other animals may not necessarily get such a raw deal at the Park.

As for having nothing to do in HK for kids, I think the bigger issue is that some HK parents are not willing to let kids "be kids", they are not allowed to have free time, all of it must be filled with tutoring and homework. The parents are often ignorant of nature and do not allow their kids to explore the outdoors. But there are things to do in HK for kids, kayaking, hiking, swimming, a variety of sports, Outward Bound and so on. Maybe the options available is not as great as in Australia and elsewhere, but if HK parents really want their kids to get out of the couch and stop watching TV, there are options available beyond more homework. The problem is many of them don't allow them that option.
    do you have kids in HK? if yes, are they in international schools or local? it's not as simple as that,
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    do you have kids in HK? if yes, are they in international schools or local? it's not as simple as that,
    Yes, you are right, international vs local schools make a difference. Local schools force their students to fill all their time with homework and more homework. International schools by contrast place greater emphasis on developing the overall character of their students by letting them explore their interest, be it sports, arts and other non-classroom activity, that makes a difference to what kids are allowed to do in HK.

But I maintain that for many local parents in local schools, their concept is not very enlightened, if their kids are not studying, they are wasting their time, that's their mentality.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2
    I don’t want it to close. I just don’t want to subsidise it through my taxes. If that means that it closes then so be it.
    In that case, maybe it's better to have a referendum on the future of Ocean Park and whether it should get government money. Only then will we know what most HK taxpayers think.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

They need a big waterpark...I haven't been but I think they don't have this- we have two amusement parks in the Washington DC area with huge sections that are water parks, both popular and profitable even though they mainly run about 4-5 months per year. Nothing like a water park to tire kids out and have them asleep by 7PM...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    They need a big waterpark...I haven't been but I think they don't have this- we have two amusement parks in the Washington DC area with huge sections that are water parks, both popular and profitable even though they mainly run about 4-5 months per year. Nothing like a water park to tire kids out and have them asleep by 7PM...
    It’s under construction... and late. Was originally supposed to open last summer.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Would Ocean Park have a legal case in that its key competitor does effectively get government subsidies?

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark
    Would Ocean Park have a legal case in that its key competitor does effectively get government subsidies?
    On what grounds do you think they could bring a legal case? I can't think what law would proscribe the Government from investing in/subsidizing Disneyland.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast