Like Tree185Likes

Ocean Park seeks HKD$10 Billion Govt. Bailout

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

I work in construction; the cost of building or developing doesn’t necessarily translate into a loss. It’s certainly not the case that every dollar spent is a dollar loss.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoista
    Depends on investments, they still building out the hotel and spa right?
    The Ocean Park Marriot Hotel has been opened for a little while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    The Ocean Park Marriot Hotel has been opened for a little while now.
    A second hotel next to the future water park is also under construction.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    A second hotel next to the future water park is also under construction.
    Yeah, but it should not have impacted OP's bottom line so adversely if the park was properly managed. So I don't think the hotel is an excuse by the OP management to explain the losses.
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

<wronged guess deleted>

i believe the reason why Ocean Park is losing money, is that we have a constant increase from HK$250 in 2009 to 2019 HK$498 for ticket prices, no wonder within 10 years and even before the unrest, Ocean Park is losing money as people now perceive it as not value for money and fewer people going there now, i also presume they had a large increase during 2017 when the island line south was opened and rided the perception that they take advantage of this

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    i believe the reason why Ocean Park is losing money, is that we have a constant increase from HK$250 in 2009 to 2019 HK$498 for ticket prices, no wonder within 10 years and even before the unrest, Ocean Park is losing money as people now perceive it as not value for money and fewer people going there now, i also presume they had a large increase during 2017 when the island line south was opened and rided the perception that they take advantage of this
    2009 visitors 4.8 million
    2018 visitors 5.6 million

Your analysis is based on a flawed assumption to start with.
    mrgoodkat and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyresmoke
    So many questions arising from these charts in the linked SCMP article... including:

1. Park revenues have increased every year since 2015-16, including 2018-19, so why the huge increased loss in 2018-19, after fairly consistent and much smaller losses in the three previous years?

2. The main drop in visitor numbers was between 2013-14 and 2016-17, visitor numbers pretty much stabilised after that. Same question, why the huge sudden loss in 2018-19?

Agree, there's something funny going on here.

Investment costs for construction, hotel, new rides etc. shouldn't effect this. Profit or loss is based on revenue vs. operating costs only. So for some reason operating costs have risen much faster than income.
    shri, Tyresmoke, Coolboy and 1 others like this.

did they let elderly go in free in 2009 ? does that impact the numbers ?
    some friends told me their parents like to take advantage.. so bunch of elderly goes to OP early morning for their regular exercise/gathering and then leave soon...

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Agree, there's something funny going on here.

Investment costs for construction, hotel, new rides etc. shouldn't effect this. Profit or loss is based on revenue vs. operating costs only. So for some reason operating costs have risen much faster than income.
    Erm, net profit is affected by depreciation which will certainly change (increase) with the construction of new rides or hotel.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast