Like Tree185Likes

Ocean Park seeks HKD$10 Billion Govt. Bailout

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Ocean Park seeks HKD$10 Billion Govt. Bailout

Tourism sector lawmaker Yiu Si-wing said changes at the park were long overdue.

“We have seen it lose money for some years, visitor arrivals continue to drop, and more competition arising from across the region,” said Yiu, who did not reveal any details of the HK$10 billion rescue plan.

Should the Govt really be in the Theme park business, given they are also majority shareholder at Disneyland?

Businesses fail for a variety of reasons, Ocean Park has been in decline for a number of years before the protests. They would do well to do away with the 1950s style animal prisons for a start. Trained dolphin shows are even more archaic and cruel.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ment-help-hk10

“We have seen it lose money for some years, visitor arrivals continue to drop, and more competition arising from across the region,” said Yiu, who did not reveal any details of the HK$10 billion rescue plan.
    Like you said, story of almost every business. Don't see any reason why large businesses should be subsidised - they have economists, marketing, PR and well trained / experienced managers on staff to help them plan their businesses and guide them through crisis moments.

It is the small businesses that lack all the expertise and capabilities of these near-monopolistic govt-subsidised mega-"corps".

If they get bailout (with our money), we get share options. It's that simple!

Private enterprise is exactly that. Will they funnel a slice of profits through to us (tax payers) if they ever start making any again...Of course not.

Bit of a blinkered view? That's just the way I see it.

Last edited by coffee_break; 08-01-2020 at 09:06 AM. Reason: grammar

Release the captive animals, shut it down and put the land to better use.

Quote Originally Posted by emx
    Release the captive animals, shut it down and put the land to better use.
    Although they will just sell the land to developers to build luxury apartments that nobody can afford...

I'd argue that Ocean Park at least adds some diversity to what HK has to offer to residents. The only other year round theme park with rides is Disney (never been there, sounds like a total nightmare) and the carnival down in Central is very temporary and dinky. I think that HK would definitely be worse off without it, especially for families with younger children and who cannot afford to fly out multiple times per year to exotic destinations.

They could move all the rides to the vacant land next to Disney.

They could also reuse the the 1.5km of cable car hardware to run from Sunny Bay Station into Ocean Park 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    I'd argue that Ocean Park at least adds some diversity to what HK has to offer to residents. The only other year round theme park with rides is Disney (never been there, sounds like a total nightmare) and the carnival down in Central is very temporary and dinky. I think that HK would definitely be worse off without it, especially for families with younger children and who cannot afford to fly out multiple times per year to exotic destinations.

$10 billion worse off? I could think of a lot of ways to improve HK with that level of funding, that would provide families with much better quality of life than an occasional ride on a roller coaster.
    emx, Skyhook, Mrs. Jones and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66
    $10 billion worse off? I could think of a lot of ways to improve HK with that level of funding, that would provide families with much better quality of life than an occasional ride on a roller coaster.
    $10B could do a lot of things, but those amounts usually get funneled into totally ridiculous infrastructure projects that actively make the place worse rather than better.

HK is very close to one dimensional as it is- concrete and shopping centres. If you get out into the parks, it's still concrete. Ocean Park and theme parks in general are not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate that at least it's not another bloody shopping centre or a bridge to nowhere.

Sure, you could say something like "build more hospitals" but that's just more concrete slab buildings that makes HK more of the same. And the government should be doing this regardless of subsidising a theme park.

It's easy to write off "the occasional ride on a rollercoaster" if you're, well, a relatively wealthy expat with huge amounts of travel experience. But I see Ocean Park as not really for the benefit of this tiny section of society.
    imparanoic, Skyhook, Kfay and 2 others like this.

I just bought an annual pass because they had 35% off, might as well bail em out so I can enjoy it. It's not like the government would use the money for something better anyway.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast