Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Coolboy
  • 1 Post By imparanoic

Band in Hong Kong

Reply
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    4,428

    Band in Hong Kong

    (Title inspired by the South Park Episode)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_in_China

    HRW Director banned from entering. Why? Ah yes.
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...1-20200113.htm


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    (Title inspired by the South Park Episode)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_in_China

    HRW Director banned from entering. Why? Ah yes.
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...1-20200113.htm
    Tanya Chan thinks this is a stupid decision on the part of the HK government, although I think it is highly likely that this is not Lam's call but Beijing's:

    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...4-20200113.htm

    Fundamentally, there is a conflict of values between China and the West. China is using this measure to demonstrate to it's own citizens that the CCP is protecting them from (manufactured) evil foreign organizations out to undermine China. But the international community, and especially the West, see this as further evidence of China trampling on HK's freedoms. This difference is rooted in the different values between China and the West. The CCP view Western values like human rights as a tool of Western suppresion of their regime. The West see China's violation of human rights as wrong, because human rights is universal.

    Indeed, China is a signatory of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (in fact, one of the drafters of the Declaration was a Chinese representative from the then nationalist KMT government), but it has never bothered to adhere to it. This is another difference. China, or more specifically, the CCP, see law and rules as a means to an end, in short law is an instrument to impose control. It is not something that stands apart from the power of the regime. So if a law or a treaty conflicts with the CCP, those can simply be disregarded or dispense with.

    This is different to the West, where the rule of law and an independent judiciary are critical components to their governance. When a states signs a treaty, the state is bound to follow the articles of the treaty. It cannot simply violate it on a whim.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 13-01-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    junichitsuyo, Asulike and spode like this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    When a states signs a treaty, the state is bound to follow the articles of the treaty. It cannot simply violate it on a whim.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow
    Well, that's Trump, but even he has to abide by international rules, believe it or not. He said he will bomb Iranian cultural sites, but he had to backtracked because the Pentagon told him that would be a war crime.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Well, that's Trump, but even he has to abide by international rules, believe it or not. He said he will bomb Iranian cultural sites, but he had to backtracked because the Pentagon told him that would be a war crime.
    Trump will do whatever he wants whenever he wants. This has brought him several bankruptcies, failed businesses, court cases, divorces and a running impeachment, as well as seriously orange skin and what can only be described as a badger on his head, but also the presidency of what was at one point a powerful country.

    So far he pulled out of the Paris Agreement, a nucleair treaty, Unesco and importantly, the UN Human Rights council. Let that sink in: he pulled out because the council criticised him for the separation of children from their parents at the Mexican border.

    I mean, let's go back to the topic, which was China being silly. I just wanted to counter the idea that all countries in the world behave like they should in this respect (and I didn't even mention Erdogan or Putin).

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow
    Trump will do whatever he wants whenever he wants. This has brought him several bankruptcies, failed businesses, court cases, divorces and a running impeachment, as well as seriously orange skin and what can only be described as a badger on his head, but also the presidency of what was at one point a powerful country. .
    Trump is a wrecking ball, and not a very intelligent one at that. That much is certain. But that does not mean he can ignore all rules and treaties.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,462

    I thought the op was referring to forthcoming goth shock death metal star Marilyn Manson HK gig in march or green day 2nd visit in march, so dissappointed that this thread is not about music

    MatthieuTofu likes this.