Like Tree43Likes

Education Bureau slammed for allowing Hong Kong’s private schools to charge millions for priority enrolment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046
    which school charges "a one-off, non-refundable gold debenture of HK$3 million"?
    According to Google: Australian International School Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    the EDB ain't going to do jack about the absurd debentures and extra levies on top of the regular tuition fees. Because they like this system as it is.
    So now the schools will just seek "approval" to do what they have been doing all along. And EDB will rubber stamp all their debenture requirements, etc. and then they will be "approved" additional fees. And nothing will change...[/QUOTE]

Precisely. The EDB will not change. After all, quite a number of senior government officials have their kids in international schools, they wouldn't want to upset their relations with the school. They look after their own personal interest, not that of HK overall.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    Is there any case where Ombudsman has ever been taken seriously particularly by HK Govt!!
    Not by the HK government directly, but in some cases the Ombudsman's reports can be utilized by concern groups to highlight defective areas in HK governance, raise awareness of this issue to the public and apply pressure on the government.

which school sell the $5 million debenture?

i like to compile a list of the schools, ranked by the highest debenture & bonds and entrance fees...

thanks...
    Coolboy likes this.

Coolboy and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046
    Love how it's a WORD document, I guess I can just edit it in any way I like...
    Coolboy likes this.

From the report:

10. EDB has now gathered information from private schools about other charges collected by them and largely completed a preliminary analysis. It intends to seek further professional advice before drawing up the application and approval procedures for the various forms of other charges, and then make relevant announcements to inform the private schools.
    Yeah, like I said, the schools will just submit these for approval, and then they will be approved "other charges."
    Coolboy and nivek2046 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Love how it's a WORD document, I guess I can just edit it in any way I like...
    here's the Executive Summary..

https://ofomb.ombudsman.hk/abc/files...ummary_EN.docx

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Given they are non profit making entities it's hard to see who would want to own them.. The best way to profit from these schools is to work for one and enjoy very high salaries compared to teachers in other locations.
    private schools are non profit making ???

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms

Gold Debentures (Non-Refundable)

A limited number of Gold Debentures (current value HK$3,000,000) are offered. The Gold Debenture is non-refundable and non-transferable. If desired, there will be an acknowledgment of the gift on a professionally designed, permanent and fixed display in the lobby of the school and in the Foundations’ publications. The nominated child must meet the usual AISHK entry requirements. For more information on this debenture, please contact the Admissions Office.
    Wow,.. just wow
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast