Like Tree23Likes

Moody's downgrades Hong Kong's rating to Aa3; changes outlook to stable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by eIIe
    It is very surprising in that despite Premier Li Keqiang's order to solve "the deep rooted problems", the HKSAR government is not doing anything whether in the short, medium or long-term about crony capitalism or economic inequalities.

This is very surprising.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046
    It is very surprising in that despite Premier Li Keqiang's order to solve "the deep rooted problems", the HKSAR government is not doing anything whether in the short, medium or long-term about crony capitalism or economic inequalities.

This is very surprising.
    Well, firstly Li Keqiang isn't in any position to order anything, he has been kinda sidelined. It's Xi and Xi only.
    And secondly, "the deep rooted problems" in HK are obviously freedom of speech, hostile foreign forces and an education system that doesn't indoctrinate students with pro CCP thoughts.
    Coolboy, shri and Gatts like this.

There are all kinds of comments which I could make here - both about the rating agency and the HKSAR Govt – but I'll settle for two:

1. the market either didn't care or had already priced in the down grade: overnight HIBOR dropped below 2% today and the 1 month rate shed a few points as well (I didn't check the longer term ones)

2. I couldn't find anything that suggested this put any pressure on the HKD/USD peg at all (but I'm sure Kyle Bass will be along soon talking about canaries in coal mines)

So I have to ask, how does this affect me? Right now my answer is "not at all" but if it starts looking like a trend, that's something else entirely.

GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    1. the market either didn't care or had already priced in the down grade.
    HK was already on negative Outlook and the downgrade priced in.

I share your view, no change for us in retail at the moment. At the corporate level, it's different as HK SAR's rating will be a ceiling for some (but not all) corporates.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Well, firstly Li Keqiang isn't in any position to order anything, he has been kinda sidelined. It's Xi and Xi only.
    And secondly, "the deep rooted problems" in HK are obviously freedom of speech, hostile foreign forces and an education system that doesn't indoctrinate students with pro CCP thoughts.
    Interesting...

Here's a report by Reuters (Beijing) of 16 Dec 2019:

BEIJING (Reuters) - China’s Premier Li Keqiang says the Hong Kong government must speed up research and resolution of deep-rooted economic problems, according to state radio.

Li made the comments at a meeting with Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam as part of her visit to Beijing on Monday. She also met with Chinese President Xi Jinping.Reporting by Huizhong Wu and Lusha Zhang;Editing by Catherine Evans
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1YK0WI

I think a further downgrade might be warranted as a possible epidemic every decade seems likely now.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046
    I think a further downgrade might be warranted as a possible epidemic every decade seems likely now.
    Rather the lack of adequate government response to an epidemic warrants it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2