View Poll Results: When will we go back to school?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 March

5 8.77%
  • Start of April

10 17.54%
  • After Easter

29 50.88%
  • After summer

13 22.81%
Like Tree711Likes

Corona Virus - Hong Kong Schools Closed - April 20th (?)

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

I heard also at that’s meeting ESF were adamant that they will not change summer or Easter holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I heard also at that’s meeting ESF were adamant that they will not change summer or Easter holidays.
    They have cancelled their CPD days
    Editor likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I spoke to a few expats in Vanuatu (whilst on holidays). A lot of people got paper divorces and sent family back to Australia for better schools, university, etc, handed over Australian property as settlement and kept paying for private school fees as child support.

I would get proper tax advice (this is not advice)...
    hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    So what’s their position in the meeting then? Insisting CE reopen the schools now when the virus situation is still a risk, so that they don’t have to give up any of their holidays?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    So what’s their position in the meeting then? Insisting CE reopen the schools now when the virus situation is still a risk, so that they don’t have to give up any of their holidays?
    My kids are getting online lessons every day- the teachers seem to be working hard to provide education under the current circumstances and things have been refined. The workload has been eased off as it was pretty monumental at the start. I am sure ESF's (and other's) position is that they are providing the children with education so they do not see a need for make up lessons. Lots of families (and teachers) will have holidays booked and I imagine the schools would be having extra classes for a small group of children who have remained through Easter break / the summer.

We are three weeks in now- this could go on for another six weeks or more. If teacher and kids step away now then this could be a very long break in education. There is no alternative for GCSE, A level, DP students, they are at crunch time, exams are coming up. Stopping and coming back isn't an option for the- it would be pointless..

It is unreasonable to have it both ways- online lessons now and extra classes later- the kids need a break!

Saw this just now:

https://www.facebook.com/bbcworldser...zA0MzYxNDk2Ng/
    Last edited by kittykaitak; 22-02-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    My kids are getting online lessons every day- the teachers seem to be working hard to provide education under the current circumstances and things have been refined. The workload has been eased off as it was pretty monumental at the start. I am sure ESF's (and other's) position is that they are providing the children with education so they do not see a need for make up lessons. Lots of families (and teachers) will have holidays booked and I imagine the schools would be having extra classes for a small group of children who have remained through Easter break / the summer.

We are three weeks in now- this could go on for another six weeks or more. If teacher and kids step away now then this could be a very long break in education. There is no alternative for GCSE, A level, DP students, they are at crunch time, exams are coming up. Stopping and coming back isn't an option for the- it would be pointless..

It is unreasonable to have it both ways- online lessons now and extra classes later- the kids need a break!

Saw this just now:

https://www.facebook.com/bbcworldser...zA0MzYxNDk2Ng/
    You’re missing the point. International schools main concern is that the extended closure will hurt them as families will leave. The reason is that international exams happen regardless of HK’s decision to shut down so the students are at a massive disadvantage compared to local students, because HK government can change the dates of local exams.

I do not believe for one second that ESF management has gone to meet the CE to promote the success of its online learning strategy. They either want schools reopened, or they want financial relief to protect them from the impact of the expat exodus.

Refusing to give up any holidays given how dire the situation supposedly is, is frankly pathetic. I can think of many ways eg offering bonus or overtime pay and using supply teachers, to give the children more days.
    shri and Editor like this.

You’re missing the point. International schools main concern is that the extended closure will hurt them as families will leave. The reason is that international exams happen regardless of HK’s decision to shut down so the students are at a massive disadvantage compared to local students, because HK government can change the dates of local exams.

I do not believe for one second that ESF management has gone to meet the CE to promote the success of its online learning strategy. They either want schools reopened, or they want financial relief to protect them from the impact of the expat exodus.

Refusing to give up any holidays given how dire the situation supposedly is, is frankly pathetic. I can think of many ways eg offering bonus or overtime pay and using supply teachers, to give the children more days.
    The CE let international schools have small exam groups. That’s a reasonable compromise.
    As for holidays, as an anecdote at FIS, the French stream opted to shorten the Easter holidays while lengthening the March ones (which are during the closure), while the international stream (where a lot of parents have already booked their holidays) opted to keep Easter at 2 weeks and not change anything. I don’t think it was only teachers who opted to keep their holidays... parents too.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    The CE let international schools have small exam groups. That’s a reasonable compromise.
    As for holidays, as an anecdote at FIS, the French stream opted to shorten the Easter holidays while lengthening the March ones (which are during the closure), while the international stream (where a lot of parents have already booked their holidays) opted to keep Easter at 2 weeks and not change anything. I don’t think it was only teachers who opted to keep their holidays... parents too.
    Why would the International stream have more booked holidays compared to the French stream? Genuinely curious here, I would have thought that both streams would consist mainly of expats, just that the latter would be Francophiles. So they'd have similar travel plans.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Why would the International stream have more booked holidays compared to the French stream? Genuinely curious here, I would have thought that both streams would consist mainly of expats, just that the latter would be Francophiles. So they'd have similar travel plans.
    The international stream is known to be much more elitist and richer than the French stream. It’s mostly Australians, a few brits and a few locals these days. In contrast the French stream is more of a service obligation to enable all the French students in HK to enroll so you’d be surprised but not everyone is the kid of a regional director

Also just by asking around, a lot more French stream students stay during Easter.
    kimwy66, jgl and shri like this.

Their position is that staff are working very hard to provide online tuition.

Disallowing hols would have other implications for staff personal situations and also could present a problem for those reaching ends of contract. Not to mention goodwill.
    MatthieuTofu and kittykaitak like this.

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast