Like Tree28Likes

Your work arrangement during the outbreak

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Option to work from home till Feb 7th for our office. For those who have traveled to China for the holidays, they will have to work from home for 14 days from the date of return to Hong Kong. It's too cold at home so I am in the office along with three others.

MABinPengChau likes this.

I feel the pain of teachers who have to go into school and set work to send to students of all the different age groups, mark and return it ,keep up continuity of study programme,allay the worries of those approaching exams etcetcetc. For that you need real dedication

Flexible with staff. Some have chosen to WFH today, but others are in office, like me. Staff are not set up for WFH though as they cannot access company's shared drives - data security issues. So we cannot allow staff to WFH over longer term.

We are introducing flexi hours so staff do not have to travel to/from work during peak times.

Any people to China face home quarantine for 14 days upon arrival back to HK.

Strongly recommended no non-essential travel to China (even personal travel) as it puts pressure on existing staff to cover for the 14 day quarantine period. So staff that have to travel to China will be forced to take leave for the extra 14 days. If they have no leave, then unpaid leave.

Does your company allow work from home from anywhere (e.g. also abroad), or does it have "WFH but within Hong Kong"?

Mine - been closed since January 25.

Was considering taking sick leave as I've a fragile health and hence, the immunity is low. There was a call for me to volunteer working in the quarantine area. Oh!! what an idea, but if my health were robust enough , I'd go without giving it a second thought. It was my passion after all, to work with the sick. An opportunity to prove that I'm worthy of existence, gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ren32:
    I feel the pain of teachers who have to go into school and set work to send to students of all the different age groups, mark and return it ,keep up continuity of study programme,allay the worries of those approaching exams etcetcetc. For that you need real dedication
    I feel empathy for teachers in general. Imagine being blamed by degenerate parents who think their kids faults are due to poor teaching rather than bad parenting and sub par genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Does your company allow work from home from anywhere (e.g. also abroad), or does it have "WFH but within Hong Kong"?
    No standard rule for my company. I had a personal travel plan originally, and talked about the options of working remotely from abroad in case I am stuck there due to countries banning HK further. One manager was ok with the idea, the other did not agree.

Got email today to WFH again for the whole of next week, Im heading to Seoul if HK express doesnt cancel my flight on feb 13th and returning on feb 16th and then I have to do home quarantine for 14 days, at this rate I probably wont set foot in the office for the whole of feb lol

shri likes this.

From tomorrow: close two hours early every day. Three days off next week, just had 5 days off non paid.

Does anyone know about tax implications for work from Australia (beyond the standard non-tax resident for Australians and the ATO)?

My parent company views Australia as a high risk location for tax and only allows 5 days per financial year. They may have exemptions for special circumstance. Not sure if the virus and school shutdowns are special enough.

I'm an Australian citizen (but non-resident for tax purposes), so I can go back and work for a period of time.

Has anyone working for a larger company got their global mobility answers for Australian citizens (non-tax resident, 'living in hong kong', going back and working remotely from Australia)?

I can possibly work from New Zealand, but I won't have health cover.

My family is already back in Australia (mainly due to school shutdown) and staying due to Virus outbreak.