Like Tree85Likes

SARS vs Wuhan Virus - Reminisce about the good old days

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well, the knowledge of world geography by average Americans is about as much as Trump's knowledge of the US constitution, in other words, not much. I dare say for many Americans, most of them consider Asia as a single indistinguishable and monolithic blob. Same goes for Africa and South America.
    Yes, very true, so much so that the plane to and from Japan was empty and the fare was super cheap. If this current situation holds, I may be able to do business class for Easter this year...

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    There are a couple of differences

1) Social Media
    2) HK Gov were trusted to be competent
    3) Fewer ants on the ant hill back then

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    some other differences, case zero was here in HK, SARS was completely novel, and was then spreading (relatively slowly) from Hong Kong, whereas the wuhan virus appears to be circulating much faster, and there was no real no panic to buy masks as we have a moment
    don't forget that in 2003 China wasn't as connected as today. There were no highspeed trains and no millions of tourists travelling all over the place for CNY
    shri, AsianXpat0, Skyhook and 1 others like this.

Wasn't post SARS the trigger to allow solo travellers from the mainland into HK?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well, the knowledge of world geography by average Americans is about as much as Trump's knowledge of the US constitution, in other words, not much. I dare say for many Americans, most of them consider Asia as a single indistinguishable and monolithic blob. Same goes for Africa and South America.
    I once was in key West and needed to buy stamps for postcards.. ..the shop guy asked me where for, and I said Hong Kong...he replied "oh are you from Japan?"

Anecdotal but yea, confirms.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    I once was in key West and needed to buy stamps for postcards.. ..the shop guy asked me where for, and I said Hong Kong...he replied "oh are you from Japan?"

Key West, huh? While I won't dispute the general lack of geographical knowledge of many Americans, I will note that Florida Man seems to be a separate genus/species from the typical Yank.

https://www.boredpanda.com/hilarious...mpaign=organic
    Last edited by huja; 30-01-2020 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:

I had that in Canada too when they asked me where I am from and I said Hong Kong, and they said "konnichiwa" to me.....
    MABinPengChau and rainylin like this.

Amoy Gardens was not a quarantine centre, it was isolated due to the high number of cases spreading there.

Quote Originally Posted by readerd2019:
    Amoy Gardens was not a quarantine centre, it was isolated due to the high number of cases spreading there.
    Block E?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Block E?
    Amoy Gardens Block E was first kept in isolation then all residents transferred to quarantine camps at govt. holiday camps.