Like Tree85Likes

SARS vs Wuhan Virus - Reminisce about the good old days

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by readerd2019
    Amoy Gardens was not a quarantine centre, it was isolated due to the high number of cases spreading there.
    Block E?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Block E?
    Amoy Gardens Block E was first kept in isolation then all residents transferred to quarantine camps at govt. holiday camps.

I was around back then and remember being bemused by the sudden obsession with wearing surgical masks. They were in short supply in the early going and then widely available for sale everywhere. I opted not to wear them after hearing from experts that hand hygiene was key, whereas the masks are largely useless in preventing contraction of SARS. I got some grief for this and a few people told me that I was being irresponsible. Later on, someone who sat near me in the office contracted SARS and we were told by health department officers to observe two weeks of home quarantine. I remember at the briefing that a number of people started weeping, even though they had no interaction with the person (it was more out of self-concern). After two boring weeks, I returned to work to find that I was the only one who had actually remained at home.

The current situation is very familiar. The fixation on masks, extreme hypochondria. I see people wearing masks during TV talk show interviews. The supermarket run and sold-out rice strikes me as nuts.

shri, vyral_143, Skyhook and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by readerd2019
    Amoy Gardens was not a quarantine centre, it was isolated due to the high number of cases spreading there.
    Nobody said it was a quarantine centre. What happened was that the residents were told they will be quarantined a few days before it was happening and many just left. The ones that didn’t were sent to holiday camps in Sai Kung and Lei Yue Mun. I used to work nearby

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3