View Poll Results: How many face masks do you consume each day?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than four

1 1.14%
  • Between two to four

5 5.68%
  • One each day

34 38.64%
  • One every other day

22 25.00%
  • I do not wear mask

26 29.55%
Like Tree937Likes

Fluhan - Medical Supplies, Groceries & Other Shortages

Closed Thread
Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 ... LastLast

A lot of hoarding could be due to people wanting to make money during the breakout. Why go out and get toilet paper if you can buy it from your neighbour?

Many people use toilet paper like facial tissues. Some feel it's cleaner than regular facial tissues. Others might want to make paper mache. And maybe some odd person might use them as pillows.

You might complain about people who buy up all the of toilet paper, creating a supply problem for everyone else.

But ironically, those people who stocked up on 100 rolls have no supply issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Happiness is ... Finding a stash of masks at home you forgot you purchased a few years back!
    Don't they have expiry date? I think some of the components might be not so effective after a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    Don't they have expiry date? I think some of the components might be not so effective after a couple of years.
    usually about 3 years, because of the rubber, but you can easily use them after that if they aren't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    I don't think the effectiveness of the mask matters in this case, as long as HK_Katherine 'looks' the part, then, job done !
    greenmark, shri, timonoj and 3 others like this.

As far as "looking the part" I have a really stretched-out face mask that I use if I am going out on a Saturday and plan to wear it a long time- it's a black one I bought for the protests and not the kind you're supposed to wear for flu anyway.

It is so out of shape that it just lets in pure fresh air but looks like it fits well when I check in the mirror.

And, voila! I am now no longer a threat to my fellow HKers...

On the subject of "looking the part," I had a look at a sample of one of the more stylish, washable, masks on display in a store the other day. It was the style pictured below. It's quite common to see in HK.

It seemed to be made entirely of a thin layer of a stretchy, open celled foam. The size of the holes in the foam would have rendered it totally ineffective against anything whatsoever, it was basically the same as breathing open air, and it wouldn't be effective at catching anything that someone sneezed out (though I guess it would shorten the range of a sneeze).

Overall, it would be better that these things not be used at all, especially by sick people.

Name:  Women-Men-Soft-Washable-Reusable-Dustproof-Flu-Mouth-Breathe-Mask-Stylish-Simple-Anti-smog-Face-.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by jgl; 10-02-2020 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typos
    MatthieuTofu and timonoj like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    On the subject of "looking the part," I had a look at a sample of one of the more stylish, washable, masks on display in a store the other day. It was the style pictured below.

It seemed to be made entirely of a thin layer of a stretchy, open celled foam. The size of the holes in the foam would have rendered it totally ineffective against anything whatsoever, it was basically the same as breathing open air.

I got a few of those and realised that it makes for some nice ski masks
    toni_celin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    On the subject of "looking the part," I had a look at a sample of one of the more stylish, washable, masks on display in a store the other day. It was the style pictured below. It's quite common to see in HK.

It seemed to be made entirely of a thin layer of a stretchy, open celled foam. The size of the holes in the foam would have rendered it totally ineffective against anything whatsoever, it was basically the same as breathing open air, and it wouldn't be effective at catching anything that someone sneezed out (though I guess it would shorten the range of a sneeze).

Overall, it would be better that these things not be used at all, especially by sick people.

Mine looks like that but is a thin, disposable version that is supposedly designed for pollen (large particles compared to bacteria and virus). It was bought to look cool at the protests/hide identity although doesn't work that well for hiding identity if you are caucasian, can still tell it's me...

Jackie1 and Mefisto like this.

Closed Thread
Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 ... LastLast