View Poll Results: How many face masks do you consume each day?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than four

    0 0%
  • Between two to four

    5 6.10%
  • One each day

    31 37.80%
  • One every other day

    21 25.61%
  • I do not wear mask

    25 30.49%
Like Tree893Likes

Fluhan - Medical Supplies, Groceries & Other Shortages

Reply
Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 53 ... LastLast
  1. #441

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tsim Sha Tsui
    Posts
    3,936

    There are reports amongst the locals to avoid the Indonesian face masks as the lot during shipping was spoilt, with some gotten wet. There’s a video of these face masks and inside the box was loads of bugs, and these masks were not the individually packages ones.


  2. #442

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    Calls for government to limit prices or control supply are wrong. Government needs to get the fuck out of the way....
    They haven’t governed for more than half a year already. Most of the time the ‘government’ hides under some sort of rock and waits for problems to disappear. If that doesn’t happen, they get the popo to do the job.
    GreenCatalonia likes this.

  3. #443

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    Does it matter? There's a lot of push in HK to control the price of toilet paper, masks and so on. But go back to 1776 and Adam Smith. High priced goods at time of short supply causes people to work harder to increase supply to benefit from those higher prices, but in turn that increased supply pushes prices down. Selling restricted stock at fixed low normal prices doesn't help the majority of people because it doesn't help most people get the product.

    Calls for government to limit prices or control supply are wrong. Government needs to get the fuck out of the way, the irony that the government is current working through the courts to restrict face mask wearing just spooks mainland and overseas suppliers. Those suppliers should be working to pump as many face masks and rolls of toilet paper into HK as the market demands.
    In normal times that is relevant but these are not normal times. If you’ll pardon the pun I’ve got two weeks supplies max and I’m shitting myself.

    Can’t they declare a loo roll amnesty?
    timonoj likes this.

  4. #444

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Causeway Bay
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    Does it matter? There's a lot of push in HK to control the price of toilet paper, masks and so on. But go back to 1776 and Adam Smith. High priced goods at time of short supply causes people to work harder to increase supply to benefit from those higher prices, but in turn that increased supply pushes prices down. Selling restricted stock at fixed low normal prices doesn't help the majority of people because it doesn't help most people get the product.

    Calls for government to limit prices or control supply are wrong. Government needs to get the fuck out of the way, the irony that the government is current working through the courts to restrict face mask wearing just spooks mainland and overseas suppliers. Those suppliers should be working to pump as many face masks and rolls of toilet paper into HK as the market demands.
    I don't think that's how it works in this case. The (mostly foreign) suppliers are selling the masks for the same price that they always have and people are just buying all the stock and raising the price. There is no incentive to increase production significantly because it increases the risk that they will end up holding inventory when this all blows over.

  5. #445

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw90
    I don't think that's how it works in this case. The (mostly foreign) suppliers are selling the masks for the same price that they always have and people are just buying all the stock and raising the price. There is no incentive to increase production significantly because it increases the risk that they will end up holding inventory when this all blows over.
    There is no incentive to have the government limit prices either. The first grandma in line is just gonna buy two or three times as many if they are cheaper. We've seen this with toilet paper. Prices are cheap and there still isn't any available because everybody has been schlepping it away 10 packs at a time.

  6. #446

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro
    and if you use the self-service counters, there's no queueing!
    I think @mused meant you have to queue up to actually have two rolls in hand. Then you can go to self service LOL. That's HK now!

  7. #447

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah01
    On the other hand, I've hardly ever managed to get through Park N' Shop's. Every time, I visit their website, I've to wait for approx. 15 mins - that too in vain. After 15 mins, when I finally I get in, nothing that I want to buy, is left. Perhaps, we will soon have to order those damn toilet rolls from Tesco (UK) , and toilet rolls holder from Harrods. Just saying.
    I'm way ahead of all you gals and guys. I'm collecting a big pile of leaves.
    HK_Katherine, bsh and HKsb like this.

  8. #448

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw90
    I don't think that's how it works in this case. The (mostly foreign) suppliers are selling the masks for the same price that they always have and people are just buying all the stock and raising the price. There is no incentive to increase production significantly because it increases the risk that they will end up holding inventory when this all blows over.
    Eh? If you are manufacturing a product, you will increase price if the demand outstrips your production capability, or you will increase the supply to benefit from the higher demand. Do neither of those things and your competition, or new entrants to the market, will.

    Proof of this is the number of HKers trying to source supply from all over the world to sell locally. 2 months ago, no-one was interested, there was no money in it. Now lots of people are working to increase supply, even people with a suitcase full. Today's Watson queue(*) shows there's unsatisfied demand for 35 million masks.

    (*) ...and as I said, the market works and government doesn't. 1.4 million people queued online for 30K packs of masks. Compare that to the New Year's Eve lottery IT fiasco.

  9. #449

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,183

    Cue the run on cling film/saran wrap/plastic wrap (choose your brand of English). The "proper" way to protect your conjuctiva when protective facemasks are not available, YMMV:

    https://twitter.com/FLAHAULT/status/1227312908213923841


  10. #450

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Causeway Bay
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    Eh? If you are manufacturing a product, you will increase price if the demand outstrips your production capability, or you will increase the supply to benefit from the higher demand. Do neither of those things and your competition, or new entrants to the market, will.

    Proof of this is the number of HKers trying to source supply from all over the world to sell locally. 2 months ago, no-one was interested, there was no money in it. Now lots of people are working to increase supply, even people with a suitcase full. Today's Watson queue(*) shows there's unsatisfied demand for 35 million masks.

    (*) ...and as I said, the market works and government doesn't. 1.4 million people queued online for 30K packs of masks. Compare that to the New Year's Eve lottery IT fiasco.
    Yes, HK people are buying from all over the world but that's not resulting in an increase in supply which is the second part of your argument.

    In order to increase supply, more machines need to be procured and by the time that's done the need for additional masks will probably be over.

    I would say mask machines are a depreciating asset so procuring additional machines and materials would just result in wastage.

Reply
Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 53 ... LastLast