Like Tree100Likes

How has the outbreak affected you in HK?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Now here's a question to ask those tais tais and anyone on a toilet roll buying spree, just where are they going to put those rolls at home? Yes, maybe they are preparing for an apolcalyptic end-of-time scenario, so they aren't thinking about the future, but just the here-and-now. But supposed that it is not yet time, that this virus or zombies, nuclear war or the four horsemen has not put an end to the human race just yet. Then what are you going to do?

Like I said, the average HK home is really not that big, there is simply nowhere to put all these rolls. So what then? The roll can go moldy in the summer heat and humidity. Then we are going to get an outbreak of mold-related disease in the summer? Maybe that will work to knock some sense into people, of the potential "health hazard" of having too many toilet rolls at home...
    Interior decoration with toilet rolls, build that illegal fourth story, make a private toilet booth like the one below, the possibilities are endless for creative HKers!

Not much impact for me so far. I work at home, as does my wife. Thankfully our kids are not school age yet, so although their playgroups are cancelled, playgroups are only a couple of hours (parents attend) so it's really no different to normal. It's a bit sad the kids aren't seeing their friends much but we're spending less time in playgrounds and more time out on nature walks away from crowds, so making the most of it. Good time of year for outdoor walks, too.

Kinda thankful I don't live on the island, we don't have many masks. Since we're in the middle of nowhere it's not such a problem except for when we need to head to TST for an appointment or something. Feel a bit sad for those that feel trapped indoors, my family by sheer luck (for the want of a better word) have it better than most.

I just realized that my car's licence expires in a couple of days but the licensing office has suspended walk in applications and the next available appt is in March! As per their site, apps received by post are processed within 10 working days so obviously I'll be taking this route.

I'm sure, during normal circumstances, I can't drive an unlicensed vehicle but would anyone know if the authorities , for instance police , would make reservations if I'm caught?

Living in a village in yl, I'm heavily reliant on my car for running errands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul
    I just realized that my car's licence expires in a couple of days but the licensing office has suspended walk in applications and the next available appt is in March! As per their site, apps received by post are processed within 10 working days so obviously I'll be taking this route.

I'm sure, during normal circumstances, I can't drive an unlicensed vehicle but would anyone know if the authorities , for instance police , would make reservations if I'm caught?

You'll have to fill in the application, attach insurance copy, VRD, ID copy of registered owner and address proof and a check for the license fee. Then throw that into the drop-in box at the traffic department in an A4 envelope. They'll call you when it's done. Ours took 2 working days (dropped it in on the 12th, got the call on the 14th, picked it up today).
    Jaz Paul likes this.

An unlicensed car is also an uninsured car. Up to 12 months imprisonment + fine. Best also ask your insurance company.
    Jaz Paul likes this.

On Kin Yip Street is a little shop that sells auto insurance... they also do vehicle licence runs for $50... no locals actually go to the licencing office!

Ring them first to make sure they still do it... we use the one in Tuen Mun now....

Procedures of the agencySuch as car license fee renewal, transfer, color change, retention, deck registration , machine number transfer, driver's license change, school schedule, ticket payment and other related procedures
    https://www.leungkee.net/

As I have no children living at home, life is mostly unchanged- I still go to the office as it's too boring to work from home and today I actually got to visit a client! Woo hoo! But then, another client had a positive corona virus in its office so that company will all be working from home for the next two weeks as surely some other lucky people will test positive- my main contact is working from SG, can't blame him.

And Peng Chau has been immune from many shortages and no extra hiking traffic that I have noticed so can go mask-free until you get on the ferry (where a surprising number of Chinese actually go unmasked along with about 50 percent of gweilos). But no one wants to go out for lunch anymore so I go alone...they all bring from home to avoid potential virus contact- that hot pot case did the trick, should be hundreds of restaurants out of business by March...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6