Like Tree110Likes

Maintaining sanity during Hong Kong's latest predicament?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Doydbadyerd:
    This is an important issue to raise. Folks like me with a little too much time on our hands got really down during the protests from the news, also from staying home too much during transit disruptions. The virus situation is just extending this. Folks, take care of both your physical and mental health at this time. I’m trying a bit harder on the mental side; admittedly not easy.

On a "positive" note, for introverts like me who isn't too keen for social interaction(s) (face to face) it's a relish to look forward to everyday. As a voracious reader, the day passes with a blink of an eye as I turn the pages of my favourite books. If it's not literary pieces, I dig down through stacks of medical journals and etc. All in papers - no kindle. The "feeling" of shuffling the pages and papers does maintain my sanity.
    Cornmeal, jgl, AsianXpat0 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    On a "positive" note, for introverts like me who isn't too keen for social interaction(s) (face to face) it's a relish to look forward to everyday. As a voracious reader, the day passes with a blink of an eye as I turn the pages of my favourite books. If it's not literary pieces, I dig down through stacks of medical journals and etc. All in papers - no kindle. The "feeling" of shuffling the pages and papers does maintain my sanity.
    I'm also introverted but prefer it when my isolation is self imposed rather than by outside forces. I did just realize that I have a 600pg philosophy text so that should help.
    hannah01 and rkenia852 like this.

Not clicking on these threads so I can focus on other work...

Cornmeal likes this.

My turn to rant! Useless really, but hey it helps! I am an elderly ( had my 80th birthday last week,no partying at LKF or a Junk trip,please read on!) resident of a care home. The rules and restrictions given out by the Health Department seem to change daily, and now we have:
    Nobody leaves the premises unless for life and death reasons.
    No visitors unless for life and death reasons.
    We are ok as far as food and essentials are concerned, but we are missing our kind volunteer helpers who come and entertain us,by singing,playing music, helping with games like mahjong,bingo,Scrabble.(schoolchildren,kindergarte n groups,dancers pianists etc ,God how we miss and appreciate you!)
    So ,no shopping,no restaurants,no food delivery,no friends no family...it's pretty deadly.On the bright side, we are well cared for,adequately fed.We have Dvds,TVs and each other,hard working staff and a lovely garden. Things could be a million times worse. I am going to use the time to hone my belly dancing skills,learn basic Serbo Croat and whinge....
    Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    i see what you mean (or honestly i'm not that drunk yet to call that bullshit)
    if you're white, their sympathy towards you is automatic. However, if you re brown . regardless of your background, no matter how "good" their english is, you'd have to spend some time first that you're not one of "them".

coming back to the thread, alcohol still abounds in HK so I'm still hanging there in the sanity department
    I wouldn't know... I'd hope that mental health professionals are better attuned to social injustice than the average HK person, but, besides the one person I've seen, it's really not a world I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ren32:
    My turn to rant! Useless really, but hey it helps! I am an elderly ( had my 80th birthday last week,no partying at LKF or a Junk trip,please read on!) resident of a care home. The rules and restrictions given out by the Health Department seem to change daily, and now we have:
    Nobody leaves the premises unless for life and death reasons.
    No visitors unless for life and death reasons.
    We are ok as far as food and essentials are concerned, but we are missing our kind volunteer helpers who come and entertain us,by singing,playing music, helping with games like mahjong,bingo,Scrabble.(schoolchildren,kindergarte n groups,dancers pianists etc ,God how we miss and appreciate you!)
    So ,no shopping,no restaurants,no food delivery,no friends no family...it's pretty deadly.On the bright side, we are well cared for,adequately fed.We have Dvds,TVs and each other,hard working staff and a lovely garden. Things could be a million times worse. I am going to use the time to hone my belly dancing skills,learn basic Serbo Croat and whinge....
    Thanks for listening!
    Well I think you have put me in my place ! Thanks for sharing and putting more perspective on the situation.

I'm very lucky I was able to hike today and the air quality was great. On the downside my neighbours have started karaoke and it sounds like we live in a haunted house but at least I got a vintage stereo a month ago to help drown them out.

Yours was a very mild rant, feel free to vent more when necessary.

Take care!

Original Post Deleted
    I hope I shan't have to resort to that very "scholarly" way of getting bathroom paper.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Where there is a will, there is a way .

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/02/1...irus-exercise/

Cornmeal likes this.

Thanks. I didn't want to imply that it was like imprisonment. It is of course the task of our Management to abide by the rules so that we are safe,for which we are grateful.

Cornmeal and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Where there is a will, there is a way .

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/02/1...irus-exercise/
    I think that running in circles for 66km goes completely against the thread subject of "maintaining sanity".