Like Tree75Likes

What is the worst 'public space' in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

OK the whole of the harbour reclamation area from central pier down to hung hom tunnel acres of paving and concrete and a few. Sad looking trees and a bit of shrubbery : could have had plenty of trees : it's hot and unwelcoming in the daytime and just barren : I have no idea why the planners love glass concrete and paving : they could have created a new linear Victoria park with some proper planting : lost opportunity : they hate any proper trees for some reason at that department

I'm a bit busy to indulge in this thread like I'd like to, but man, I can't go to Tung Chung plaza without lamenting.

There's just too many places to count across Hong Kong.

Any neighborhood designed around a consumerism, material focused shopping mall is simply wrong in my book. No one's daily walk through their "neighborhood" should be past clothing, handbag, and gadgets you don't need stores.

Then there is the dates car centric neighborhoods... Where alternative forms of transport are impossible, so you are stuck on a tiny pavement bumping into others, when there is in fact space.

Country parks, that's where things are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I'm a bit busy to indulge in this thread like I'd like to, but man, I can't go to Tung Chung plaza without lamenting.

Any neighborhood designed around a consumerism, material focused shopping mall is simply wrong in my book. No one's daily walk through their "neighborhood" should be past clothing, handbag, and gadgets you don't need stores.

Then there is the dates car centric neighborhoods... Where alternative forms of transport are impossible, so you are stuck on a tiny pavement bumping into others, when there is in fact space.

TKO North up into Hang Hau and Po Lam are atrocious. Same with Tin Shui Wai, West Kowloon and Tung Chung. There are lovely wide pavements and cycle lanes (except West Kowloon), except no one walks there because it's an empty streetscape, everything is in the malls... No trees and even though no one walks there, they are still plagued by the roadside barriers.
    hongkong7 and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    It's where people can look at the papers and pick their horses. Also doubles as a convenient toilet, hostel and place to get bitten by smidges.
    Drugs, prostitution, gambling are pretty common. Also a location for illegal immigrants to gather to be picked up by triad for short term assignments.

How about the windowless HK Cultural Centre, which faces one of the world's iconic harbour views? Seems to have inspired the K11 Musea architects.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Tung Chung plaza used to be a lot worse when it was packed by tourists more mainland. But yeah it's pretty much soulless.

The fishing village on the other side of the hill is quite nice though.
    Elegiaque and Natfixit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Drugs, prostitution, gambling are pretty common. Also a location for illegal immigrants to gather to be picked up by triad for short term assignments.
    I didn't know prostitutes propositioned from there as I normally see them pacing up and down the streets.

Thanks for the info!

Just realised I spelled put an extra 's' in front of midges

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Any "sitting-out" area located either under a flyover (worse still, a spaghetti junction) or directly next to a multi-lane road. (Dis)honourable mentions to the little concreted-over patches containing nothing but a bench or two and a signboard with a long list of rules which can be found in the back streets of older areas like Sai Ying Pun and Shek Kip Mei.

I actually like the rooftop of the Kai Tak cruise terminal despite its almost total lack of useful amenities - when the weather cooperates it certainly has the best 360 degree view of HK skyline. It's just such a pain to get to.
    A lack of "sitting-out" areas in the Central MTR vicinity, air-conditioned or not. One must really know the area well to find a spot to sit down in a relative quietness to work on a laptop for an hour waiting for a near-by appointment. I once walked through IFC looking for a spot - till the hour ran out. A jewel I found is the Mandarin lobby, comes even with a free wifi from a luxury brand shop. I'm sure there are others, but definitely not a priority for the city planners and building owners
    hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Central Library is the worst place. Full of old people who are releasing bodily gasses and fluids every minute. Non stop coughing, sneezing, wheezing, farting and highly likey... sharting. Place gives off a very stale smell too.
    Yeah. Plus a lot of them (the elderly) drop in there just to occupy a seat and then doze off for eternity making it inconvenient for others who visit the place to study.

Honorary mention - Cafe De Coral. The food is good - I occasionally get in there, but people tooth picking openly after meal without even bothering to cover (with another hand) and in many cases, "washing" their hands by dipping them in a bowl of water, is such a distasteful sight.