Like Tree65Likes

What is the worst 'public space' in Hong Kong

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Has a normal HK'er ever been there?
    I've been once. Terrible designwise and well so many loud tourists as well.
    - Concrete Square, no motifs or patterns, just plain concrete
    - Hideous statue
    - Disconnect with the so-called expo promenade along the harbour.
    - Helipad right next door
    - Coach parking 10 metres away from the statue
    - How the hell do I get there without walking on the road, the rerouted sidewalk through the construction mess or through the back entrance of the expo centre with a few shops that I didn't even know existed?

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@22.2.../data=!3m1!1e3
    hongkong7 and ThatOneGuy like this.

Does the space in the middle of Canal Road in CWB where the lady bangs the drums qualify?

hongkong7 and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hksomewhere
    How about the windowless HK Cultural Centre, which faces one of the world's iconic harbour views?
    You beat me to it The politicians who approved this insanity should be summarily dispatched.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    k11 musea during weekdays is really quiet
    Went to K11 yesterday for the first time. Interesting place. Cannot see them making any money there for a long time though!!!

They have a nice roof garden area with grass!! No views though!
    imparanoic likes this.

It seems the general consensus is that HK public spaces are rubbish! I've never understood the idea of having parks full of concrete.

The country parks though So easily accessible from the city. I will miss that aspect of HK when I leave in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    Golden Bauhinia Square
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Has a normal HK'er ever been there?
    I went there yesterday for the first time. You can walk along the waterfront all the way from Sai Wan Western district to Bauhinia Square now.

Not sure what it is called, but that huge square in East TST near all the big tourist hotels. Characterless, mostly treeless and just a waste of space.

Edit : Urban Council Centenary Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    It seems the general consensus is that HK public spaces are rubbish! I've never understood the idea of having parks full of concrete.

The country parks though So easily accessible from the city. I will miss that aspect of HK when I leave in the summer.
    It tends to be the smaller sitting out areas that are poor.

More recent areas seem to be worse such as the below sitting out area in a new Kai Tak housing development. Housing really is too important to allow the government to monopolise the provision with lashings of low quality housing with terrible open spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    central library has great facilities compare to other countries, example UK libraries still use 20 year books which are in bad condition, even places like state of the art Library of Birmingham, while the building is beautiful and futuristic, the lending material is in a rather bad condition, a lot of the books are from the late 80s and 90s and i am not talking about the reference material , the CDs/DVDs which are poorly treated and unusable , in HK, the lending material is actually in decent conditon, fairly modern within the last 10-15 years, CDs and DVDs are immaculate conditions (apart from the kids ones), look at the article below, birmingham city council ( like with other cities in UK have spending cuts) spend the money on the building and minimal amount on the lending material

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...ng-new-9842985
    Provided that nothing's changed in the time that I've been away, I recommend London's Hendon Library, very pretty and a cafe with no need to check books out in advance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4